We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Presence of mosquitios

Galway, Ireland
1 post
Save Topic
Presence of mosquitios

Because Les Pennes Mirabeau is so close to the Lagoon - L'etang de berre, are mosquitos more of a problem in summer than further along the coast?

4 replies to this topic
Antibes, France
Level Contributor
10,425 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Presence of mosquitios

The short answer is Yes, this and the whole of the Camargue is basically marshland - paradise to mosquitoes , as is all stagnant water. And I hear the dreaded Tiger Mosquito has been spotted. They are less prevalent on the coast, disliking sea breezes. But just one mosquito buzzing around you at night is as bad as a whole swarm. Buy repellent and those bands you can put around your wrists and ankles - their favourite parts of humans.

Ed

Mentioned in this post
The Camargue
The Camargue
188 Reviews
Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur, France
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Nice, Villefranche-sur-Mer
Level Contributor
3,153 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Presence of mosquitios

Ed is absolutely right, and they are often very localised: a pool of stagnant water can be just a corner on the roof above your appartment. I am fortunate in that they seem to prefer my wife to me, however its not a solution I can recommend to others. A couple of plug-in repellants, plus a room spray before you go out, is fairly efective in keeping down the little blighters, plus a rolled newspaper and steady aim.

Edited: 7:39 am, April 15, 2013
Loire Valley
Level Contributor
7,017 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Presence of mosquitios

The good news is that if you hear them buzzing they aren't malarial. :) If that helps...

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,290 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Presence of mosquitios

When we had a flat in Mont Boron, Nice, mosquitoes were quite a nuisance but since we moved three miles or so to Villefranche I have never seen or heard one.

Reply to: Presence of mosquitios
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Les-Pennes-Mirabeau