We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Non-English breakfast... maybe even Spanish!

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,178 posts
255 reviews
Save Topic
Non-English breakfast... maybe even Spanish!

I don't think I've ever eaten breakfast in Spain. I'd like to. I got excited by the sight of the current 'Best Breakfast' thread only to find out it's all about the English fry-up. Which I love, but not on holiday. Not in thirty degree heat.

What food can I try? What's a traditional Spanish breakfast? Please let it be more than a pastry and coffee. I'm thinking cold meats and cheeses and eggs and fresh salsas. Am I way off the mark?

Where am I going to go?

Thank you.

Arroyo de la Miel...
Level Contributor
15,218 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Non-English breakfast... maybe even Spanish!

Churros and Hot Chocolate. El Parque at the top of Garcia Lorca or the bar to the right of the train station by Pueblo Sol. Churros are a type of doughnut batter extruded from a hopper into hot fat and served with a thick dipping/drinking chocolate. Usually served at breakfast time and for a couple of hours in the evening.

Pitufo`s are popular too. Small bread rolls served with the "staple" lol, ham and cheese. What is very nice is a Fresh tomato and olive oil pitufo. Basically a paste of tomato with a drizzle of good oive oil and a sprinle of herbs. Again El Parque in Arroyo.

Pitufo is also the word used for Smurf in the Smurf village of Juzcar. (google it).

Jaen
Level Contributor
63 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Non-English breakfast... maybe even Spanish!

Cafe y un medio is the norm around my area. Coffee and half a roll toasted and served with olive oil and fresh tomato pureed, fabulous, you can have cheese and jamon on it too - even better.

Arroyo de la Miel...
Level Contributor
3,618 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Non-English breakfast... maybe even Spanish!

Pitufo and tomato is what quite a few of our Spanish friends take for their breakfast.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,178 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Non-English breakfast... maybe even Spanish!

Great, thanks. Doughnuts, hot chocolate and cheese, ham and tomato rolls I can do.

Anything else? Anywhere else?

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
91 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Non-English breakfast... maybe even Spanish!

Churros and Hot Chocolate - Cafe beside the train station (can't think of the name) as if you are going in the deirection of the clinic. They still make their own Churros on site. Fantastic morning out for all especially with the Kids. Great Coffee & Orange Juice. Our two kids love it. A little bit Spanish instead of Eggs & Bacon. Looking forward to it tomorrow morning.

dundee
Level Contributor
551 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Non-English breakfast... maybe even Spanish!

Too many places to mention - but mainly in the Arroyo - lots of the Spanish restaurants try to attract folk with a "British" breakfast and don't do the traditional Spanish brekkie - just a basic continental one. I'd go with the recommendations above to start off with and as you explore see what crops up to try another day. Churros are great when they are just made - can be a wee bit stodgy otherwise - and also the small madeleine cakes dipped in the hot chocolate or an almond croissant can be very tasty. You can buy them freshly made from the bigger supermarkets (the croissants) to have with a cuppa on your balcony in the sunshine - bliss

A M
Benalmadena, Spain
Level Contributor
3,741 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Non-English breakfast... maybe even Spanish!

They all sound very yummy but I bet they play havoc with the waist-line!

Torremolinos, Spain
Level Contributor
13,990 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Non-English breakfast... maybe even Spanish!

A great place for breakfast (get's very busy early on) is just along from the 24 hour square (plaza solymar) on the same side of the road. It's the only place that has tables and chairs on the pavement and has like a make shift grassy/reed area the furniture sits on with plants etc... you'll spot it straight away, it's usually very busy with Spanish business types - fairly trendy looking!!

I have had a drink there with someone who wanted the brekkie (I'm not a fan) - she swears by it, and non stop people day in day out so i can only presume it's good!!

CB

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,178 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Non-English breakfast... maybe even Spanish!

pcHill16 - Thank you for the recommendation. I don't know the clinic you're referring to but from looking on Google Maps I assume you mean the one on Calle Pepa Guerra Valdenebro about three hundred yards from the station. Is the cafe nearer the clinic or the station entrance? So I can try and find it on Streetview. And does anyone else know the name of the place?

katybdundee - Thank for you your reply but, if I'm allowed to be a touch impudent, you said there were too many places to mention and then went on to complete a one hundred and twenty one word reply. If you'd have given me just five places at an average of three words a name you would only have had to use fifteen and I would have ended up with five recommendations. If you choose to reply again and decide I wasn't too much of a touch impudent I would really appreciate some suggestions.

cheekybadger - Thank you. By just along from Plaza Solymar I assume you mean along the main road and north-east and on the inland side of the road? And what's the brekkie that your friend swears by? Churros? Pitufo? Sausage, egg, double bacon, black pudding, fried slice, beans and mushrooms with tea and toast?

Edited: 7:06 am, July 18, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
91 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Non-English breakfast... maybe even Spanish!

Beside the Station entrance. On the same side as the Church. If you are coming out of the station doors, turn immediate left down two or three steps and the cafe is in front of you on the corner. Tables etc outside under the trees. I think the name starts with La T............ Enjoy

Get answers to your questions about Arroyo de la Miel