We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Supporting new business

Benalmadena, Spain
4 posts
Save Topic
Supporting new business

Hi, I don't normally write on these forums for many reasons but after watching a conversation yesterday on here about new bars i felt i needed to post some support for all the new business owners.

In this current climate of uncertainty for Expats living and working in Spain, it is now more then even vital that the locals support new business's and old one alike. I wont mention any specify business in this post as I know that it is likely to get removed.

I heard yesterday from one local who said he couldn't be bothered going to the new bars because they will only close down in a few months anyway. New business will close quickly if locals do not support them, it is that simple. If you always only drink in once place and never give the new businesses a chance they will have only one option and that is to close.

A phrase I have heard over and over again is 'the locals are your bread and butter, the tourists are the bonus' but quite simply again, if the locals do not support new business enough then bread and butter will be the only thing they can afford !! .. The business that has been there 20 years wont miss you for one night if you try a new place, you never know you might just like it enough to come again but you will never know unless you try.

So today do something amazing, support a new business whether a bar or a hair salon or a restaurant etc, pop in and say hello, make the effort to find out where that new business is if the signs are not clear enough for you, make a new business feel welcome in this wonderful town before its too late.

Don't be that local who says 'see i told you so' without having first given them a chance to succeed.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post and have a great summer

Croydon, United...
Level Contributor
846 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Supporting new business

Well said... I always make a point of visiting new bars and restaurants when I visit. That way you find new places to go, but more importantly to recommend to others...

A M
Benalmadena, Spain
Level Contributor
4,286 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Supporting new business

I agree up to a point but I can only support new ventures by stopping using the ones I've been a regular at for many years.

Benalmadena, Spain
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Supporting new business

No one is asking you to stop using your regular bar as clearly it's a place you like going to, but once a week, once a month, just once a year try a different place for even one drink and maybe if everyone did that then all the bars would stay open for a long time but sadly while people refuse to even do that then they will continue to see new places come and go on a regular basis.

Northumberland...
Level Contributor
1,519 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Supporting new business

I also agree, but AM has a point.

I've recently returned from Benalmadena / Arroyo and visited many 'new' bars myself, mainly due to the Tapas Ruta event. I did return to one, after receiving excellent service (even tough it was just a tapa and a glass of wine). Many new finds from that Tapas Ruta event.

I also visited a new venture in Fountain Square (opened December 2016) and this is a new business that is worthy of support (in my opinion anyway). I'll be back staying in Torremolinos early May and the Fountain Bar Bistro will be a definite. Same again for our November visit, assuming it's survived that crucial first year. Standards and prices suggest it should do well though as it has pitched itself just about right for the square.

But, as mentioned, others seem to have their 'locals' and it's hard to break that mould. Bar Ibensa for example, extremely busy every day and although it's excellent, there are other bars offering similar prices, which aren't as busy. They deserve their rewards though as they do put the effort in and have for many years. The Lounge bar is another example, absolutely buzzing on a Saturday afternoon (racing and football etc).

Hard to break through, although the times may just be changing after very hard times.

Good luck to anyone thinking of opening a new business anywhere in Spain, you deserve the luck if you put the effort in.

Benalmadena, Spain
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Supporting new business

You appear to have the right attitude to new businesses. You have at least given the bars in Fountain square a chance to show you they too also work hard and you are willing to return as a customer while still supporting your favoured venues like Bar Ibenza.

A M
Benalmadena, Spain
Level Contributor
4,286 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Supporting new business

Too many places already, not enough customers and a falling exchange rate.

I can't understand anyone putting money into any new venture at the moment.

Northumberland...
Level Contributor
1,519 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Supporting new business

The old saying, 'how to walk away with a million pounds in the bank running a bar' - 'you need to start with 3 million pounds'.

The € rate isn't great, but at €1 and €1.50 per large beer (pint), it doesn't hurt too much! ;-)

Overall, it's obviously more costly than it has been. I would prefer the £ / € rate to be fixed and personally somewhere like €1.25 would suit (80p per €). Great when it's €1.40+, but €1.25 would be a steady average.

Although I wouldn't personally run a bar, I do hope a few more Brits return and open bars after many succumbed in recent years. Away from Bonanza and Ibensa squares, the Brit bars can struggle and even in Toms Tavern last week, it was virtually dead! Something seems amiss there sadly. But, that area (Montemar) has witnessed many casualties over the last 5 years or so! May the good times return. The loss of the Brit bars has enabled the Spanish to take over though, so new ventures gained. Plenty of Spanish investment in recent years.

A M
Benalmadena, Spain
Level Contributor
4,286 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Supporting new business

"All Inclusive" holidays has to be a major factor in the decline.

It isn't that long ago that all the bars along the Bonanza Strip as far as the Pisces traffic lights were open. It's a depressing place to go nowadays.

Edited: 2:18 pm, March 30, 2017
Northumberland...
Level Contributor
1,519 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Supporting new business

Yes, that strip is pretty quiet now, until you get to CJ's and KC's.

But, the popular bars in Ibensa and Bonanza squares were very busy and trying to take advantage of sitting outside in the recent sun at Bar Ibensa was at a premium.

I personally wouldn't entertain AI in Benalmadena - low quality drinks, repetitive food etc isn't for myself. It's very cheap, with a great variety of bars and you'd either miss out or pay twice (AI and bars outside). It doesn't make a lot of sense, unless you are getting AI for very little extra over s/c.

AI with premium drinks and top food may be different, but maybe in more dedicated and quieter AI resorts.

Considering I was there in mid-March, I thought the place was fairly busy and on a sunny day, Fountain Square was generally packed with seats at a premium. Again, on the weekend, some tapas bars in Arroyo were also packed.

Hopefully from Easter and throughout the summer, the bars and restaurants will get their just rewards.

Croydon, United...
Level Contributor
846 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Supporting new business

I'm back out in a few weeks, anyone recommend new bars to try?

Planning 3 visits this year, so want to try new places, anywhere from arroyo to torre...

Plus looking at moving over to arroyo in a few years, just need to get wife fully on board.

Get answers to your questions about Arroyo de la Miel
Recent Conversations