We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Landlord entered vacation rental without notice.

Palm Coast, Florida
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Landlord entered vacation rental without notice.

Is it legal for an owner of a vacation rental to enter the home without notice when the renters are not there? We are renting a vacation home for a week in Singer Island. We came home today from the beach and found evidence that the owners had been in the house. We just checked in yesterday. They texted to ask if we wanted to rent the bicycles on the property for an additional cost. They removed them when we told them no. The bicycles were outside and were gone when we left. There was also evidence inside the house. So we know they were there. The problem I have is that our dogs were inside their pens in the house when this happened. I am furious!

6 replies to this topic
Colorado
Level Contributor
4,301 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Landlord entered vacation rental without notice.

Not sure if I understand if you are saying bicycles were gone when you left?!?! Think I would get that issue figured out first.

United States
Level Contributor
6,959 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Landlord entered vacation rental without notice.

Check your contract with the owners. There may be some fine print that gives them permission.

If your issue is that you just don't like that they entered unannounced, perhaps you need to let them know you would like advance notice and for you to be allowed to be there.

If your dogs are dangerous in the presence of strangers, then they need to be told that too. That should keep them out!

Apalachicola...
Level Contributor
3,437 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Landlord entered vacation rental without notice.

I had the same thing happen to me once in a VBRO rental and I really disliked it. I do think that under Florida law the owner of any property can enter without notice "at a reasonable time" but it's common courtesy to give advance notice.

Palm Coast, Florida
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Landlord entered vacation rental without notice.

The bicycles were on the property when we arrived. She told us they could be used for $25 each for the week and left them, she owns a rental company. The next day she texted and said if we didn't want to use them she would take them back to her rental store. We gave her permission to remove them from the back yard. But not to go side the house.

Palm Coast, Florida
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Landlord entered vacation rental without notice.

Good idea. Our dogs are scary cats. I am sure they were freaking out.

Palm Coast, Florida
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Landlord entered vacation rental without notice.

That's what I thought of, but can't find anything pertaining to vacation rentals.

Reply to: Landlord entered vacation rental without notice.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted