We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

group from ontario heading down jan 9th.... dunes

Kitchener, Canada
Level Contributor
444 posts
104 reviews
Save Topic
group from ontario heading down jan 9th.... dunes

a group of about 6 of us heading down, couples and singles, I might stay 2 weeks as it is only $200 for the extra week. anybody else want to join in, safety, and alot more fun in numbers. ages about mid 30's. if we get more than 10, get a group rate as well! I am an experienced traveller, been to about 30 countries. lots of good experience.

Kitchener, Canada
Level Contributor
444 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: group from ontario heading down jan 9th.... dunes

any local travel experts? can you give your personal opinion on car/scooter rental? cost? wisdom? or would you only use public transport? cant seem to find any info on car rentals. any info would be helpful and appreciated. thanks!!

Porlamar, Venezuela
Level Contributor
121 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: group from ontario heading down jan 9th.... dunes

I personally wouldn't want to be on a scooter or motorcycle here (and I worked for a motorcycle company for years)...they are kind of "inconsiderate" drivers to say the least. But a car, sure why not? It's a great way to see the island and have the freedom to do as you please when you please. There are several rental "hubs", the airport, the Bella Vista area and the Costa Azul area. Because of the ever changing prices and exchange rate I'm not sure what the current prices are but I live nearby the the Costa Azul cluster and I'd be happy to drop by next week and see how much for the week you're coming.

Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
107 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: group from ontario heading down jan 9th.... dunes

What's the best USD exchange rate that you know of currently around your part lbar?

Edited: 11:31 pm, December 08, 2012
Porlamar
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: group from ontario heading down jan 9th.... dunes

If you rent a motorcycle or scooter, make sure you have a good life ins policy and that it is paid.

Kitchener, Canada
Level Contributor
444 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: group from ontario heading down jan 9th.... dunes

that would be most helpful! thanks for your offer. helps to know what the price should be so we dont overpay. and to make the budget.

I am an experienced driver in less than ideal environments, from the randomness of Central America, to the absolute anarchy and congestion of south east Asia. I am still here, with all my arms and legs. just with better stories. I am confident I can handle whatever Venezuelans can throw at me! but willing to listen to any tips you may have.

how is law enforcement? do they target tourists for bribes ect like Mexico? or do you have to break a law first to fall into that trap? any unique traffic laws? or is there simply survival of the fittest? (read: brave and lucky...lol))

Kitchener, Canada
Level Contributor
444 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: group from ontario heading down jan 9th.... dunes

hey ibar, if you dont mind, can you find the weekly rate of a motorcycle as well as a cheap car? thanks very much for your time and trouble! I will buy you a drink when I get there....

Margarita Island
Destination Expert
for Margarita Island
Level Contributor
2,186 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: group from ontario heading down jan 9th.... dunes

There is only one rule in Venezuela:

There is no such thing as "Right of Way".

You have to be super defensive in driving whether it's a car or motorcycle.

Don't assume that cars will stop for red lights or stop signs.

Don't assume that that pedestrian isn't going to step off the sidewalk into the road without looking.

Don't assume that cars & motos will have brake lights or lights at night.

Don't assume that there won't be a bump in the road that the car in front will come to almost a dead stop to drive over it.

That car that pulled out onto the main highway is not going to speed up so be prepared.

Merging into traffic is a lot of fun. They mostly just stop instead of speeding up & merging into the traffic flow.

I could go on & on but you get the idea.

Drive defensively & be prepared for anything.

I've driven here for more than 25 years with only one minor problem. Of all the hundreds of guests that have stayed at our B&B & rented cars only one had an accident & that was because he insisted that he had the "Right of Way".

Margarita Island
Destination Expert
for Margarita Island
Level Contributor
2,186 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: group from ontario heading down jan 9th.... dunes

With regard to rental cars plan on about $35 to $50 per day depending on the exchange rate you get.

You may have to use a credit card as a deposit but insist on paying in cash in Bolivars.

Do not use a credit or debit card to pay for the rental as it will cost up to 3x more than a cash payment in Bolivars.

Porlamar, Venezuela
Level Contributor
121 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: group from ontario heading down jan 9th.... dunes

I will let you know about the cost of the cars but I'm not even sure where to rent a motorcycle

Kitchener, Canada
Level Contributor
444 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: group from ontario heading down jan 9th.... dunes

hey ibar, motorcycle would be sweet, but a scooter is cool too. what ever you guys can find. thanks!

Get answers to your questions about Pedro Gonzales