We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Woodborough visit..............

Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
260 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Woodborough visit..............

Hello from Australia. We have GALE ancestors from this lovely village and will be visiting early September. Last time we ate at the nearby Seven Stars at Bottlesford that our ancestors owned for many years. Does anyone know of a guided 1/2 day walk in the nearby area ? thank you for your help

4 replies to this topic
Broadland
Level Contributor
541 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Woodborough visit..............

I know the area when I was working quite a few years ago. Not sure about anyone who'd offer a guided walk, but you could try googling either for Pewsey Vale Coaches or Bedwyn Cars, they're both fairly local, see if they could help you out with a half day tour. Couldn't find any private hire vehicles in the Woodboro area. Oh, and I was around that area last February time and I have a feeling the Seven Stars is now closed.

Places I'd look for or ask them to include

Honey Street Sawmill - just up the road from Woodboro, and that's for the Barge inn which is right through the sawmill! Recently taken over by a cooperative of villagers.

Crofton Beam engines on the Kennet and Avon Canal - not sure these days when they're open, probably weekends only

Stitchcombe in Savernake forest for the view - totally unexpected. There are large areas of Savernake that are accessible by vehicle, but are quite off the beaten track

Great Bedwyn for the bakery - fantastic Wiltshire lardy cakes! Also in the same village there used to be a stone mason's yard with a little museum attached, also an old style willow basket maker

Marlborough High Street for a visit to the Polly Tea Rooms - just quite an experience

A drive on the back road from Upavon down to Long Street, Enford - the Swan is an excellent pub for lunch.

Not sure September is any help, but the nurseries at Woodboro were always a picture in spring when they were bringing on the daffs.

All the places I've mentioned are within a few miles of W

Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
260 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Woodborough visit..............

Thank you so much........ Seven Stars still open as there are recent reviews but I love all your foody suggestions as well as Stichcombe will look into that. Went to the Barge Inn last time what a great location !

Really appreciate your time and I have made notes. All the little places as so close together that you drive/walk a little and you are in the next little area ! Sorry 3 littles in one sentence :)

Wiltshire, England
Level Contributor
301 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Woodborough visit..............

I can highly recommend a guided walk from Peter at http://www.wiltshirewalks.co.uk/

We went a couple of years ago and again last week, to the Savernake Forest. Peter's lived in the area for years and will also custom-make a walk for you.

Woodborough is lovely - we lived there for a 3 month period some years ago. It's very handy for walking in the Alton Barnes are and the canal.

Broadland
Level Contributor
541 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Woodborough visit..............

I forgot to mention up through Alton Barnes for Lockeridge and 'The Who'd a Thought It' pub (yes that's it's name). That puts you in the area for Silbury Hill and Avebury.

Reply to: Woodborough visit..............
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Woodborough