We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grandparents

Which Monte Sant'Angelo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Coral Springs...
Level Contributor
37 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Grandparents

Hello To All,

I am deperatly trying to find out inforamtion on my grandparents who were from Monte San Angelo Puglia. I have some information but very littl and have visited Monte San Angelo , Manfredonia and Mattanata but could not find any help. They left Italy in 1911 and I cannot find out much more. We are tying to apply for citizenship and other inforation about them before they left for the states. They settled in the Boston araea actually Worcester and I would give anything to find out about them. I tried to contact the city govt of Monte San An gelo but could not get through. Any help would be so greatly appreciated .

I thank You

Frank Savastano

Coral Springs Florida.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,393 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grandparents

Have you tried Ancestry.com? I was able to find some data about ancestors and family memberS using that. I found the ship register that my grnadmother and great-great grandfather traveled on to Ellis Island. It had theri ages at the time. The Social Secruity Death Index was helpful for exact birthplaces and dates of birth.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,570 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Grandparents

Your parents don't have any details about your grandparents as to social security info as mentioned above; death certificates (which show place of birth and date of birth, etc?)

If not, a private investigator could probably get you what you need as they have access to all sorts of info - if they lived in Boston, there are surely records that you or an investigator can find to get some answers. I'm guessing there are no living relatives remaining in Italy? The town they came from doesn't keep the records or is that the place that isn't responding to you?

Coral Springs...
Level Contributor
37 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grandparents

Hello,

I really appreciate your assistance and responce. I have been to Monte San Angelo a few times but coukld not find the correct people who could possibly help. I do speak Italian so it want just a thing about .: Here is another one looking for someone " My dad had most of the info in his mind but he passed on a few years ago which has led tpo a dead on on so many things. I am determeined to find wehat I need even if it takes years whgich it probably will.

Once again , I thank you

Frank

Coral Springs...
Level Contributor
37 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grandparents

Hello Lupiling,

I wanty to thank you for your answer . I have been to Monte San Angelo many times but could not find the correct people to speak with. My dada had all the info in his mind but he passed on a few yeras ago which created a void regarding our Italian Ancestory. I am going to keep on going and find out what we need . I really l;ike Puglia and its aleways wonderful to be there and there asre not so many tourists which make it real;ly nice.

I do thank you so much and if you have any other ideas , please let me know.

Grazie

Frankie

capital district ny
Level Contributor
401 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grandparents

Have you tried the churches in the area your grandparents are from? Often, churches kept detailed records of births, First Communions, marriages etc.. and also family relationships. For example, when a marriage was recorded, it included the bride and groom's parents' names including maiden names of the mothers and grandparents' names. Often the neighborhood where the extended family member was born was also included.

Last summer, my sister and I went with my father who was born in the tiny town of Fontechiari and spent an afternoon pouring over church records that dated back to the 1400s. What complicated matters was that the older records were written in Latin, including names. For example, the relatively common name of Luigi was written as Aloysius. It took the church record keeper to point this out to us. We were allowed to photograph everything we needed.

It was all very fascinating. Lots of questions were answered, but let me tell you, there were also a few surprises!

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Grandparents

Your grandparents most probably entered the US through Ellis Island. There is a Web site where you can search for information:

http://www.ellisisland.org/

With the Quick Search, I found two Savastanos from Monte Sant'Angelo: Giuseppe (aged 26, married) and Matteo (aged 18, single). I couldn't find a record for a woman who arrived on the same ship. The ship, incidentally, left from Palermo and arrived in New York in September 1912.

If either of the names is your grandfather's, you should be able to get more information from the registry office of the city of Monte Sant'Angelo. On this page, choose Anagrafe from the drop-down menu to send an email:

montesantangelo.it/form_3.1/mailuffici.php

The Italian White pages list 17 people called Savastano in Monte Sant'Angelo.

Adding to what Bellinda has said: There are five parish churches in Monte Sant'Angelo where you could ask to look at records.

Edited: 9:02 pm, July 26, 2010
Coral Springs...
Level Contributor
37 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grandparents

Hi Belinda,

I would like to thank you for your assistance and your help. I have been to Monte San Angelo 3 times and have not found what was needed. My grandfather left in 1907 and hius name was Francesco but the spelling was so hard to make out. My grandfather came alone and his wife followed in 1911 with her son Phiip . Her name was Natalinya ( speekling could be off and her son was Philip. I did not have any bluck at bthe city govt but did not check the churhes which I should have. The ride up to Monte San Angelo was amazing and I often wonder how the people traveled to and from . in those days. The van we had rented had a hard time making all the curves but it was well worth it for I got a chance to see where my blood came from.

I want to thank you again for your help and wish you the best. If you come across any hints , please let me know.

Sincerely

Frank Savastano

Coral Springs

Florida

Coral Springs...
Level Contributor
37 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Grandparents

Hello To All Again,

I am searching for someone who lives in Monte S Angelo and has some knowlege of it resorces et all. I have visited there 3 times and cannot find what I am looking for. I know it a far reach out but if I have to returenb there then , I will.

All of you have been fantastic and I could not have asked for more. I am looking for someone and may have some insught into my quest. I have tried everyhing including all the internet sites about ncestory etc but dead ends usually are the result. Supposdly , my gradparebnts were born there in the late 1800's but finding maes in almost impossible amd mthe documemnts I have are difficult to read.

The names I am looking for are Savastano and Santoro( who are my grandfather Francesco and my grandmother ( Natyalina) the spelloing may ne off )Accoring to the documneets I have my grandfather left in 1911 by himself on some ship out of Giubiasco ( I amn otr sure) and my grandmother left in 1913 ( I believe) out of Naplkes for Boston with her son Phillipo. Her maisden anme waa Santoro and that is what is lised on the White Star Line ( The Canopic) but after that everthing gets lost. We are trying to apply for Italan Citizenship and need some documents. My dad passed away a few yeras ago asnd he was the one who had all the information. I a m looking for someone who can assist me even a little bit because aI have tried everything under the Sun and do not intend to stop until I have what I am looking for.

I am pleasing anyone who may indeed help me find out something about them. My grandmorthers name as Natalya and her husbavd was Francesco but thgenaes are either mispelled or who knows what especillay in those tiems. My grandmotther went from Napoli to Boston and grandfather to New York from Giubiasco9 BUT I am not sure of Giabusco or exactly what it is.

Any help would so greatly apprreciated

Thank You All

Frank Savastano

Cirak Springs]

Florida

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,393 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Grandparents

At Ancestry.com, you don't need to know someone's social security number to get info about them in the Social Security Death Index., just their name.

I applied for a copy of my grandfather's birth certificate when I was in Sicily, but I had tio know exactly when he was born to get it at the Commune for Castellammare. At the Comune there were no facilities for searching for anything. Communicating with the people at the Comune was patchy, even though my daughter's Italian is not that bad. The people at the Comune were not very supportive and we heard people behind us in line grumbling about the foreigners holding up the line, and how they should jsut leave, so that the city's people could get their business done.

Once we had the birth certificate which listed the house where he was born, we went there and walked past the church where he probably attended and might have been baptized at. However, it was locked up and it wasn't clear where the church office might be or the records was (and when It might be open?). Castellammare is not a very big place, but there was more than one church there and even if we wanted to access the baptismal records, it not clear to me that the church closest to wher he was born would be the only place where he might have been baptized.

it was still a gratifying experience eventually, but I was glad that I already knew a lot before I went to Sicily. Even still I felt like I was not about to repeat the process for my Grandmother in Trapani.

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Grandparents

Ancestry.com has information about Nataluzia Santoro Savastano; I didn't access it, because I didn't want to get involved in their "free" trial, where you get charged after 14 days. I entered Francesco Savastano, 1890 as year of birth and Monte Sant'Angelo as place of birth.

If you're hoping to get Italian citizenship on the basis of your grandparents' citizenship, I don't think it will work. I believe it only works for people born in the US *while the parents are still Italian citizens*. It might have been the case for your father, but it certainly wouldn't be the case for you.

Get answers to your questions about Monte Sant'Angelo