We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SCUBA DIVE lake arenal

River Forest...
3 posts
Save Topic
SCUBA DIVE lake arenal

I saw there was an earlier forum about this subject, and i was wondering if anyone knows anything further on diving lake arenal.

17 replies to this topic
Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
7,818 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SCUBA DIVE lake arenal

great question. I really have no idea but am curious of the answer myself. There is an entire little town under that lake, it would be an interesting dive. Sit tight and someone will chime in on this.

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
Level Contributor
3,284 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: SCUBA DIVE lake arenal

i'm interested to know as well. i've driven the lake road several times and don't recall seeing any signs for dive shops, indeed very few for fishing or any sort of watersports. i have seen lots of windsurfing toward the north end of the lake.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: SCUBA DIVE lake arenal

No diving is offered as a regular tour on this lake.

La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: SCUBA DIVE lake arenal

While it is not diving, you can see the tops of some of the buildings right now as the lake is at it's lowest point of the year. If you were coming soon, I would imagine you could do some interesting snorkeling on your own.

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
6,236 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: SCUBA DIVE lake arenal

We did a sunset tour of the lake, and our guide said there are churches, cemeteries, etc. under there. It doesn't seem like the water is all that clear to me, so I'm not sure what the visibility would be like, but it sounds really interesting.

La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: SCUBA DIVE lake arenal

It is actually fairly clear right now as the winds are dying down and the rains have not arrived yet. It's only like this a couple months of the year though.

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
6,236 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: SCUBA DIVE lake arenal

I'd love to see it.

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
7,818 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: SCUBA DIVE lake arenal

I think it sounds like a blast. Love diving, never occurred to me to try and do it there, but why not? have to say it's not very often you get dive on an entire town... creepy, but cool!

Unity, Maine
Level Contributor
833 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: SCUBA DIVE lake arenal

While you're there, if you find a kodak camera in a ziplock bag it's mine!

Ha - when we went kayaking on the lake 3 years ago, we flipped and when I got back into the boat (which was difficult!) it was gone to the bottom. I was so bummed about all the pictures I took.

River Forest...
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: SCUBA DIVE lake arenal

I will be staying at Arenal Observatory Lodge in about 2 weeks. I figure i'll do some snorkleing. do u think i could get about 10 to 12 ft of Visibility? or less?

Reply to: SCUBA DIVE lake arenal
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about El Castillo
More El Castillo Topics