We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

information about Sepilok

Which Sepilok hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
2 posts
100 reviews
Save Topic
information about Sepilok

Hello

There is very little information online about Sepilok as a location in its own right. There is an "official website", which is really a business website and an entry on wikitravel, which is very minimal. There is lots of info on accommodations and attractions, but not Sepilok itself.

Can anyone provide any information? For instance:

• Is it a village, small town, a junction in the road or simply a spot on the map?

• Are there coffee shops, food places? (Especially if we don’t like the food at the accommodation provider)

• Are the accommodations and attractions very far from each other? Are they a walkable distance from each other?

• Are the locals friendly? Are they indigenous or traditional people?

• Are there places or indications of their art and culture?

• Is the area rural, native forest, suburban?

For that matter, there is not much information about Sukau or Damun valley!

We are a family of 3 and we are trying to decide where to go in October.

Looking forward to seeing some information!

Thanks

Allen

9 replies to this topic
Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
192 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: information about Sepilok

sabahtourism.com/destination/sepilok-orang-u…

http://sepilok.com/

Kota Kinabalu
Destination Expert
for Sabah
Level Contributor
2,240 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: information about Sepilok

Hi Allen,

There is an eatery located at Sepilok Rehabilitation Center, its right next to the car park, before going into the ticket counter.

Most people in Sabah speaks english, not to worry, especially places like Sepilok where there are tourists most time of the year.

For the culture, try checking out the homestay located along Kinabatangan River.

Sandakan, Malaysia
Level Contributor
337 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: information about Sepilok

I've selected the following coordinates from Google Earth: 5.875120 (N) , 117.950300 (E). If you look at Google Earth, you'll notice the area is neither a town nor a village. It's rural area but it's only about 7 miles to the outskirts of Sandakan town). In that area there is a scattering of houses/farmsteads. The main road in that area is the road you see as "Jalan Sepilok" (Sepilok Road). This road in turn is off the main trunk road (Route 22 on Google Maps) to Sandakan town, the downtown area of which is 14 miles eastbound.

Of course, the Sepilok Orang Utan Rehabilitation Centre (at the southern end of Sepilok Road) is the star attraction in that area. More recently, the Rainforest Discovery Centre (less than half a mile west of the abovementioned coordinates) has joined the race for tourist attention.

Accomodation-wise, Sepilok Nature Resort is very close indeed to the orangutan rehab centre (at roughly 5.867280 (N), 117.949610 (E) - unfortunately you can't see it on Google Maps due to cloud cover) and so you can get there on foot. But the Rainforest Discovery Centre may be about a mile away.

As for eateries, as mentioned by Sabah_Girl, there's one at the orangutan rehab centre, and be forewarned that there's hardly any other within walking distance if you don't happen to like what the restaurant at the Sepilok Nature Resort provides!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: information about Sepilok

it's basically a road junction, no town of any kind. Sandakan centre is about 30mins by taxi,costs $20.There.s not much to recommend Sandakan.

Most of the hotels in sepilok are along the road leading to the rehab centre. Everything is fairly close. No restaurants except at the hotels.

Highly recommended, especially the rainforest centre.

Montreal
Level Contributor
93 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: information about Sepilok

I am visiting this area in late January 2016. From the Orang centre along the river etc. It is a tour which should give the possibility to see elephants, sun bears, etc. What sort of clothing and foot gear would be appropriate? Are leech socks really necessary?

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
7,791 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: information about Sepilok

Contact Downbelow. I use them and they are excellent

www.divedownbelow.com/sabah-travel-centre/

and

tripadvisor.com.au/Attraction_Review-g298307…

Montreal
Level Contributor
93 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: information about Sepilok

Thanks for your response, but I checked these links and they are for scuba diving. ASAIK I am not going in the water. I am on land and there may be leeches.

Malaysia
Level Contributor
9,228 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: information about Sepilok

wonderfulmalaysia.com/sabah-borneo-attractio…

goto this link

Montreal
Level Contributor
93 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: information about Sepilok

Right this is where I got the tour I booked. Thanks anyway. Better be safe than sorry, I will buy leech socks.

Reply to: information about Sepilok
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted