We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trips to St. Barth-ideas?

Which Orient Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Illinois
Level Contributor
19 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Day trips to St. Barth-ideas?

Staying at Alamanda, and would like to book a day-trip to St. Barth-any ideas or recommendations for this? Who is a reliable, and any ideas as to costs etc.? Thanks. Any ideas of day-trips to other places??

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
13,875 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trips to St. Barth-ideas?

I suggest using the activities desk at the hotel. Book a "package" incuding trip over and back by boat, open bar both directions with snacks, lunch on the island with complete tour and stop at a popular beach - saves time and money over paying for each of these individually.

Austin Texas
Level Contributor
80 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trips to St. Barth-ideas?

Fly over there. It is the most unpleasent journey of your life. There are only three levels of pain getting there from the captain of the boat. Bad, Very Bad and Terrible. We went over on a Bad day. I was a little queasy and my wife was very queasy.

First tip on the Cat boat is that there are small garbage cans between each seat.

Think about it and take the saling cat to Prickley pear.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
356 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trips to St. Barth-ideas?

First, Fly WinAir. You'll get there quickly, and have much more time to explore the island.

Next- BRING MONEY.

Consider renting a car. The moment you exit the airport, cross the street, you'll find a rental car agency. Prices were very good. Tour around, find a place for lunch. Prices vary and can be high. We did find a decent beachfront cafe with price about $25usd p/p.

Most shops are high end, and use the Euro. Even a variety store was pricey-$35usd for a t-shirt. And, that was 5 years ago. The marina area is not to be missed...

West Frankfort...
Level Contributor
584 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trips to St. Barth-ideas?

I came across a neat tour from gostbarth.com. it included a boat ride there and a guided tour of island (driving mini coopers) and lunch for $179 per person - sounds fun. Anyone heard of or done this tour?

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,418 posts
317 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trips to St. Barth-ideas?

1. Fly. Don't get the "vomit comet" or another ferry. I't s a 10 minute flight from St Martin airport on St Barths Commuter, only 65 euros each week or something. Ignore most comments about the flight being horrible - fantastic views, smooth landing, not scary, done it 4 times, thoroughly recommend. Why waste time on a ferry crossing?

2. When you land, it's an easy walk to St Jean beach (5 mins) one of the best there. You can hire a chair etc, there are places to eat, or buy some food at Maya to go in the shopping complex opposite the airport.

3. Or get a taxi into Gustavia and do lunch/walk around there/visit its beach, Shell Beach. Go on a trip on the yellow submarine if you like to see the sea bed/fish etc.

4. Do all of this at the end of your vacation, so you're not thinking every day "I wish we'd gone there instead of here".

New York
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trips to St. Barth-ideas?

St Jean's beach is very nice!

Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
91 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trips to St. Barth-ideas?

Are you staying the night in St. Barths?

Guelph, Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trips to St. Barth-ideas?

We do the ferry from Great Bay. I guess others have had issues but we didnt at all, nor did anyone on our boat. Vomit comet out of Simson is rough and appropriately named.

Next as one other said BRING CASH. Think about how much you will need and double it. When more that one place charges 18-20 Euro for a burger and 7-9 Euro extra if you want fries......... up to 7 Euro for a bottle of water.

That all being said it is beautiful. Eden Rock is amazing. There isnt a bad beach on the island. I am certain there is some crime there like anywhere (and I am in no way suggesting you follow this ) but it was suggested to us that we can be reasonably comfortable leaving items on the beach while swimming (ipods cameras ect) as the people there likely have way better stuff that you do. Home of the rich and famous.

Cannes, France
Level Contributor
64 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trips to St. Barth-ideas?

There are 2 days to do the trip:

- self-arranged -- take the ferry or fly (preferred), rent a car, and drive around the island. It is much smaller than saint martin, very beautiful, with secluded beaches, isolated restaurants, etc. etc.

- do a "tour" -- typically includes boat ride, visit of the island, pre-arranged lunch, stop at a beach.

I for one would go for self-arranged. you will love it. the car rental company can explain to you where to go and will give you a map. Easy to find your way.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
94 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Day trips to St. Barth-ideas?

so if i were to go there for a day trip, not overnight, how much would i be expecting to rent a car for? is it worth it just for a morning/afternoon on the island?