We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food Store near Orient Bay

NJ
Level Contributor
20 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Food Store near Orient Bay

Hi All,

My husband and I are returning to SXM and staying in the Orient Bay area this time. Usually we stay around Dawn Beach/Oyster Pond area and have our usual food store, Le Grand Marche on Bush Rd. I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion for a different, closer food store to Orient Bay that is similar to the Le Grand Marche's on the island. I know there is another location in the Cole Bay area that is closer than the Bush Rd. location. Any other stores that you guys like equally?

Thanks!

Dina

Triangle, NC
Level Contributor
157 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Food Store near Orient Bay

There is a US Market near the roundabout a little north of the entrance to Orient Bay Park. The road to Cul-de-Sac is to the right and the main road continues on to Grand Case. You have to go about 270° around and in through a little road to get there.

We went there a couple of times and while the price of meat was frightful, the selection of fruits was great and half a kilo of brie for €4.50 was hard to pass up. Twice. They also had a very nice selection of fresh pastries and breads.

They take dollars, but do apply the proper bank exchange rate. I have seen posts say it is very expensive, but when we stuck with bread, fruit and cheese, we didn't think it was. Plus, we got to try some French brands of crackers and chocolate wafers that we had never had before.

While I cannot compare it Le Grand Marche, I hope this helps.

Michigan
Level Contributor
245 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Food Store near Orient Bay

We stay in Mt Vernon on Orient and also use the US Market often. Not too bad and close. We are going to stop at the Market in Simpson bay on the way to our Condo this time, AFTER we have some ribs and beers at Lee's.

If you have extra room in your luggage take a few recycle bags. I think they charge extra for plastic. The French side recycles and there are several recycle containers along roadside.

Have fun.

NJ
Level Contributor
20 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Food Store near Orient Bay

Thank you both for your suggestions!

4. Re: Food Store near Orient Bay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:19 am, December 14, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Orient Bay