We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Orient Beach with a 3 year old

Which Orient Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York
Level Contributor
46 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Orient Beach with a 3 year old

We have been to Orient beach twice in the past - once we took a taxi from the cruise ship pier and another time we did an excursion and drove ATVs to the beach. We can't remember where we went either time. This time, we are looking for a good place on the beach to set up camp with three adults and one 3 year old. We would like to rent lounges and umbrellas, have access to clean restrooms and be able to order moderately priced food/beverages. Our ideal location would be one that is not jam packed and would allow a bit of space between loungers so that our daughter doesn't bother anyone too much. We're okay with some nudity if that's otherwise the best location. Any suggestions?

Princeton, New...
Level Contributor
140 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Orient Beach with a 3 year old

I'm not sure of each individual beach restaurants location but you can try your question on here: www.traveltalkonline.com/forums/postlist.php… I'm sure you will get many answers. Also, here is a map of Orient which may help. May be a bit outdated, however. edsandra.com/photos2005/SmallOrientPanorama.…

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
630 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Orient Beach with a 3 year old

Generally the further north on Orient beach the higher the surf which may or may not be a concern with a 3 yr old. Most of the places on the south half pack the lounges pretty tight but if you go to the area in front of L Hoste hotel, shown as La Playa on the map, the lounges are more spread out. Also I recall same for Whikiki from our afternoon walks. Surf in fromt of La Playa is ususally not too bad. They were working on the restaurant/bar there last fall but I would expect it to be up now. Lots of other bars/restaurants nearby. I would recommend going south on the beach to Orange Fever, Sun Beach, or Ethnic for meals. Good food and not too expensive.

60 days till toes-in-the-sand

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
463 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Orient Beach with a 3 year old

Since you have been to Orient twice why not experience another beach. Orient can be a little rough for a 3 year old. Pinel Island ($7/7 minute boat ride) from Cul de Sac is beutiful and Very calm. Some nice lunch options too. Galeon is also extremely child friendly where you child will be able to play all day along the shore line. One lunch option that is pretty typical but OK.

New York
Level Contributor
46 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Orient Beach with a 3 year old

Thanks for all of the informative replies!

I am very confused. If we go to Orient and we are looking for less surf/calmer water, should we go north or south? And which restaurants/bars are at which end? We are leaning towards Orient since we know for a fact that it's easy to get cabs out and back, and because my husband really likes grabbing a lounge chair and spending some down time by/in the ocean with a drink in hand.

If we decide to go to Pinel, how would we get there from the cruise ship pier? I have read some posts on Cruise Critic that suggest it's easy enough to get a cab to the ferry going over, but can be hard to get a cab coming back since it's out of the way. I have not heard anything about Galeon beach. How long of a cab ride is that?

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
463 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Orient Beach with a 3 year old

From the cruise ship dock, Galeon is a just before Orient and the ferry for Pinel in Cul de Sac is about 5 minutes further than Orient. Both offer chair/umbrella rentals. As for getting a cab back, I really don't know as we always have a rental car. Perhaps you can arrange a pick up at a specified time with the cab that takes you there.

Auburn Washington
Destination Expert
for St. Maarten-St. Martin
Level Contributor
4,131 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Orient Beach with a 3 year old

Best way is to arrainge a pick up time with the cab and pay for the round trip when you get back to your home base.

Pinel would be the my best choice over Galeon and Orient for calm waters with amenities.

Water is calmer towards the south on Orient but that all depends on the wind direction and strength of the wind.

Which ever beach you choose there is nothing against packing a lunch, drinks or a snack to take with you.

Mississauga
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Orient Beach with a 3 year old

When we went to Pinel Island we arranged with the cab driver who took us there to pick us up later. He gave us a card with his phone number on it and we called him. He was there within 15 minutes to pick us up. A nice, small and uncrowded beach is Le Petit Plage which is right next to the private beach at The Grand Case Beach Club. There is a demarcation somehow but you can't see it. The beach is never crowded and the swimming is very good there too but as I said it is a small beach. Google Le Petit Plage and perhaps you can see some photos. I have stayed at the GCBC three times and love it.

Central...
Level Contributor
185 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Orient Beach with a 3 year old

Generally, the southern restaurants have lounge chairs closer together. More north would be Palm Beach, Waikiki, La Playa, all with plenty of room to spread out most days, though sometimes they fill with cruise ship tours.

Surf can be unpredictable, but generally Orient has some big waves. Le Galion is lovely for small children. I've onnly been to Pinel once for snorkeling, and don't remember what the surf was like in front of the beach bars.

9. Re: Orient Beach with a 3 year old

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, January 27, 2014