We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mont Vernon and car

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
24 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Mont Vernon and car

Hi

I have never posted before so here goes---- we will be traveling next February to Mt Vernon and are wondering how it would be without a car. We want to go to Pinel Island---can you walk to the ferry? Is it outrageous to take a taxi to Grand Case and other areas for dinner? (We wanted to try Tuesday nights.) We were thinking about using the grocery delivery service is the fee worth it? Since we are unfamiliar with the area were were not sure about driving on the island. We would love any suggestions for our stay, we love good food and the ocean. Thank you!

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
8 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mont Vernon and car

We are here at Mt. Vernon now and I think you do need a car. I cannot imagine getting in and out of here without one. Then again, I've only been here for two days so I would also get advice from others.

Arkansas
Level Contributor
80 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mont Vernon and car

We just left there. And I too cannot image not having the car. Went to Grand Case a few times. You can drive around the whole island in a few hours easily. There is a US Market close and the big market on the Dutch side. Just a few trips during the week in a taxi and you are paying more than a car for the week.

And I didn't see anywhere you could walk easily - except the full length or Orient Beach - which was great - we never needed to drive to get anywhere there.

If you will never leave the beach except once or twice - you might not need a car. But we went scuba diving two days, went to Maho Beach one day, shopping on the boardwalk in Phillipsburg. Went to the market several times because it was a much more affordable way to eat. The car just gave us more options.

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
24 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mont Vernon and car

Thank you! We will definitely rent a car. I appreciate your response.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
325 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Mont Vernon and car

Although the distances don't look to far on a map, you cannot walk to many places from Mt Vernon. You can walk up the road to Sol Le Luna (gourmet), Le Taitu (not gourmet) and a little bakery that has bread and pastries fresh in the AM. Pinei is way too far and quite hilly.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mont Vernon and car

Get a car. Cabs are inconvenient and you can find rental cars for less than $35 a day. Easy place to drive.

Springfield...
Level Contributor
3 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mont Vernon and car

Highly recommend getting a car, too many places to see and things to do on the Island. I highly recommend Unity Car rental, we have used them for years, great rates and they will meet you at the airport and take you to their lot. Joseph and Michael are always very accommodating. www.unitycars.com, 1-800-836-4529.

7. Re: Mont Vernon and car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 pm, August 20, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Orient Bay