We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety Concerns?

Columbia, South...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Safety Concerns?

My wife and I are taking our first trip to Orient Beach in May. Are there any suggestions concerning safety or crime. Thanks in advance.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
4 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
61. Re: Safety Concerns?

Make sure you visit some of the other great beaches. Friar's Bay Beach Cafe in Friar's Bay offers free chairs if you buy lunch there and the food is excellent. Also, take the ferry to Pinel Island. Both places are very secure. A note though, don't leave anything in your car when you park for the ferry to Pinel. There are also two very nice brand new places at Nettle Bay, Dream and Sand.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,701 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
62. Re: Safety Concerns?

Fair enough to have noted our travels, and we have been fotunate. But, my point was that diligence is advised in many places, and not only in developing countries, that leaving anything in cars is unfortunately " asking for trouble" and that ignoring that can have nasty repercussions. I am very sorry for your experience and hope that further travels will be more positive.

63. Re: Safety Concerns?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 7:35 pm, February 18, 2013
Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
64. Re: Safety Concerns?

I took my family to the Big Island in Hawaii 2 years ago. We rented a car and were told the situation there is similar to what you discuss here. Don't leave anything in your car, leave the doors unlocked so they don't break the windows, etc. They said the telltail sign is if there is broken glass all over the parking lot. We certainly did see broken glass.

Mind you, this advice was for beach parking lots up and down the coast, not for "the busiest road in town", but still...

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
324 posts
1 review
Save Reply
65. Re: Safety Concerns?

We went to Maui two years ago and the safety "problem" sounded identical to what you read about St Martin. Had a great time there also. The only petty theft problem we have ever experienced was when we left an IPOD on the seat of the plane when disembarking at SXM. It apparently was snapped up by a fellow vacationer in the few minutes before we realized. If you take normal precautions you are probably as safe as in the US.

Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
66. Re: Safety Concerns?

I'm making my first trip to St Martin. My wife has to save her vacation time for later in the year so I'm traveling alone (male, age 59). To keep costs down I've rented a studio in Mt Vernon for the first 2 weeks in April.

I don't plan to cook much, or rent a car. I figure I'll walk down to the Club O end every day, and eat supper in beach restaurants on the way back to Mt Vernon. I see sunset is at about 6:30. I know it gets dark quite quickly. Clearly, walking alone down the beach in the dark is not a good idea. I had thought I'd be eating at Boo Boo Jam often, but I see now that it has burned down.

What are my options other than eating at 5pm? Would a taxi driver be annoyed by a relatively short ride? What would it cost? Is it safe to walk back to Mt Vernon on the road that I think runs parallel to the beach all the way?

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
324 posts
1 review
Save Reply
67. Re: Safety Concerns?

Dining options

There is no parallel road and you would have to walk all the way out to the main road-not possible

There are two restaurants on the road in which are not too far

Le Tatu (sp?) which is not too expensive and Sol E Luna which is gourmet and priced accordingly

Just a little further than Boo Boo Jams is Palm Beach club which is upscale

There is a Pizza place at Mt Vernon

If you are cabbing it you might go to Grand Case instead of Orient Village-probably about the same cost but you can eat at the LoLo's for $10-15

Maine
Level Contributor
55 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
68. Re: Safety Concerns?

Car theft increase tests Gendarmerie resources

thedailyherald.com/islands/1-islands-news/36…

Gang pulls off five robberies in 1 day

thedailyherald.com/islands/1-islands-news/36…

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
14,364 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
69. Re: Safety Concerns?

From Erich Kranz' current newsletter

------------------------

Crime/Traffic: The Gendarmes stopped 115 motorists in the Bellevue roundabout between 1:00 to 5:00AM on Sunday morning, finding 13 under the influence. The head of the gendarmerie announced that his priority was drunken driving. The limit on the French side is 0.05 BAC versus 0.08 in the US. That's about 2.5 drinks for a 150 lb man and then one per hour thereafter. It's proportional to weight and that alone should dictate that women should drink less, but they also lack an enzyme that helps metabolize alcohol.

--------------------------

Cicero ny
Level Contributor
12 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
70. Re: Safety Concerns?

We just got back from Orient Beach a few weeks ago. We walked the beach and plaza at night and was completely safe. We actually saw alot of police woman and men all over in st.martin.

Get answers to your questions about Orient Bay