We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

need to arrange a cab back from Orient?

Gorham, Maine
Level Contributor
803 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
need to arrange a cab back from Orient?

We'll be stopping in SXM for a day on our upcoming cruise. We've been there before but didn't get to spend much time on Orient so that's our plan for this stop.

I know people cab over there and arrange for their driver to pick them up at a pre-determined time. Question: given how popular Orient is, is there a need to do this? Will there be cabs hanging around waiting to take people or is it really best to make an arrangement.

I think the only thing bothering me about this is not knowing in advance how long I'll want to spend there.

Thoughts and input welcome. Also, what should the cab fare be from Phillipsburg to Orient?

Thanks!

-Cruisin' Dragon

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
13,973 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: need to arrange a cab back from Orient?

Generally you will find cabs next to Pedro's Beach Bar and over in the hotel area near Almanda Hotel - certainly any bar or hotel will call one for you if needed. or you can arrange for a pick up with your dirver.

Gorham, Maine
Level Contributor
803 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: need to arrange a cab back from Orient?

Thanks for the suggestions.

Any idea what cab fare will cost me from the dock to Orient?

And any preference for "best" beach bar/food?

Thanks!

-Oriented Dragon

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
13,973 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: need to arrange a cab back from Orient?

Pedro's Beach Bar - as good as it gets...

Fare should be $20.00 one way for two passengers, I believe.

Edited: 7:07 pm, November 06, 2011
Gorham, Maine
Level Contributor
803 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: need to arrange a cab back from Orient?

Thanks! Can't wait.

What's the chair rental situation? Will Pedro's allow me to use their chairs if I buy food/drink? Or do I rent from someone on the beach?

-Pedro Bound Dragon

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
13,973 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: need to arrange a cab back from Orient?

Pedro's does rent chairs and umbrella but so do just about every vendor on the beach so you have many choices - some include drinks and facilities - check around for the best deal.

Gorham, Maine
Level Contributor
803 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: need to arrange a cab back from Orient?

Will do. Great tips. Thanks all!

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
145 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: need to arrange a cab back from Orient?

Orient side you can rent chairs from 2 places, it is generally $20 for 2 chairs and an umbrella. Near Pedros I believe it is cheaper, that might be considered Bikini Beach, not sure....it is to the left when the cab drops you, Orient is to the right. There have been tons of cabs there with all the cruise ships in port so it shouldn't be a problem.

Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,361 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: need to arrange a cab back from Orient?

Actually, the entire beach is orient Beach. To the south end if Club Orient Resort, in front of which is a clothing optional beach. Pedro's is right next door and also rent's chairs, cheaper than Club orient. The only one on Orient that I know gives you free chairs if you have food is Palm Beach at the other end of Orient Beach.

Bikini is about half way down the 1.3 mile long Orient Beach.

9. Re: need to arrange a cab back from Orient?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, November 11, 2012