We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety at Mt Vernon end of Orient Beach!!!

Rockport, Maine
Level Contributor
70 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Safety at Mt Vernon end of Orient Beach!!!

How safe is it at the Mt Vernon end of Orient Beach. How about in the evening?

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
316 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety at Mt Vernon end of Orient Beach!!!

There has been some discussion/controversy regarding safety on St Martin.

There evidently was an incident on the Mt Vernon end of Orient Beach one evening about a year ago.

We were headed back there for the 5th or 6th time last March so some concern.

As usual, we never had any problem or felt uncomfortable.

The beach is very active during the day even on the quieter,Mt Vernon end. It is hard to imagine any problem. (You can have petty theft on any beach.)

We always enjoyed walking down the beach to eat dinner a couple of nights during our stay. I was not planning to do that last year. But,after seeing people,including women, walking there at night, we did go as far as Boo Boo Jams fot their usual party on Sunday.

The beach in front of the Mt Vernon is now lit up. The security people were also walking the grounds regularly (or maybe I just noticed them more.)

In my less than expert opinion, it is as safe as Hawaii.(Or maybe Old Orchard !!)

Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,361 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety at Mt Vernon end of Orient Beach!!!

Personally, I would not be on any beach after dark unless you are with a group or it is in front of a restaurant or resort and is well lit. Here, or anywhere else in the world.

Rockport, Maine
Level Contributor
70 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety at Mt Vernon end of Orient Beach!!!

Vacaja, Thanks for your info. I do agree with sxmlover, I would not walk any beach alone. Lived in Maine all my life and have never been to Old Orchard Beach!!! Are there several restaurants open on the beach in the evening? (Between Boo Jams & Mt. Vernon) We will be staying in one of Amaury's units in Tortola building.

Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,361 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety at Mt Vernon end of Orient Beach!!!

I don;t believe there is anything between BooBoo Jams and Mt Vernon.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
316 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety at Mt Vernon end of Orient Beach!!!

I believe Boo Boo Jams is the closest to Mt Vernon-the others are up by the center of the beach.Boo BBo Jams only has burgers,salads etc.. You will pay as much at Orient Village as you would for a good gourmet dinner elsewhere.

On the road into Mt Vernon (we walk there-1/2 mi or so) is Sol Le Luna which is an excellent restaurant. There is also another less expensive place to eat on that road. In addition there is a little bakery which has hot loaves of bread in the AM.

Grand Case is just a few miles and has many great restaurants including Amaury's Bistro Caribes (He will give you discount coupons at check in.) We have enjoyed our visits there as the brothers are good hosts.There are also the LoLo's in the center which are good and inexpensive.

We usually splurge for an expensive dinner a couple of times, hit the LoLo's + BB Jams and maybe stay in and eat on the balcony. The kitchens are quite functional. The supermarkets aren't bad.Alcohol is very inexpensive by the liter.

Can't wait to return.

Rockport, Maine
Level Contributor
70 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety at Mt Vernon end of Orient Beach!!!

vacaja, Thanks again for all the info. We have visited Orient Beach just for day trips. We have always stayed in the Maho area, so didn't need a car every day. Being on French-side will we need to rent a car for the week? We are so looking forward to returning to St Maarten. Hope we like staying on Orient Beach as much as the Maho area. O yeck we will be on vacation. Vacations are usually what you make them to be. We are going Nov, 2011.

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
13,973 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safety at Mt Vernon end of Orient Beach!!!

edsandra.com/photos2005/SmallOrientPanorama.…

Ed & Sandra's panorama of 2004.....

Yardley...
Level Contributor
1,999 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safety at Mt Vernon end of Orient Beach!!!

never expected to open this thread and see a reference to old orchard beach!stopped there with my family for a couple days as a very young teen on the way home from an adverture through new england and canada. never made it back to visit again but it when i think of old orchard beach it always brings back great memories of lobsters and my grandmother's humor on that trip! THANKS!!!

Edited: 2:55 pm, November 16, 2010
Rockport, Maine
Level Contributor
70 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Safety at Mt Vernon end of Orient Beach!!!

. We have plenty of lobster here in Rockport. Yummy Yummy I do love lobster.

ontario
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Safety at Mt Vernon end of Orient Beach!!!

www.smn-news.com has alot of articles about recent violent crime on both the French and Dutch sides. Seems the more I read about the violent crime situation (similar to Jamaica) I would personally look for a safer island to spend my travel $$$. There are so many beautiful islands and destinations where one doesn't have to worry about armed robbery and beatings, break and enters, car rental theft ,or not even being able to lock personal belongings into the trunk of a rental car for fear of theft ! Using common sense while abroad is smart, crime is everywhere but VIOLENT crime is worse in some places . Doing some reseach before choosing a destination is very wise.

Get answers to your questions about Orient Bay