We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Haputale to Kandy - will we get on train?

Sheffield, UK
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Haputale to Kandy - will we get on train?

Hi. Our family of 4 (my wife and I and our 9-year old twins) are planning to travel from Tissa to Kandy on 19th April. Our plan was to get a taxi from Tissa to Haputale and then get the train from there. We couldn't book our train ticket from UK, so today we tried to book it at Galle station - but we've been told all the reservable tickets are gone but we could try turning up at Haputale station and getting on 3rd class. So:

1) What are our chances of getting on the train? Do they turn people away once train is full?

2) What's 3rd class like? Will there be room for our luggage?

3) Any suggestions about other ways we can get to Kandy? We did want to try the train as it sounds like an enjoyable experience - but we'll consider something else. We can't really change the dates.

Thanks in advance for any help.

TOM

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Haputale to Kandy - will we get on train?

You will likely have a better chance of getting seats if you take the train from Badulla.

I assume the train will be jam packed as it is towards the end of the NY holidays and people will start heading back to Colombo.

Hans

B W
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Haputale to Kandy - will we get on train?

I am looking to be heading back to Colombo from either Haputale or Ella on the 18th, is it likely that only 3rd class will be available on that date too? Would I have any better luck with busses or will they be equally busy?

Hans when you say you have a better chance at Badulla, do you mean if you catch the train from Haputale -> Badulla then back the other way again? Would you have to buy 2 separate tickets?

Thanks

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
56,681 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Haputale to Kandy - will we get on train?

Hi there,

Well it's not so much 'available' as for half of the trains there is no reservable 2nd and 3rd class, but 'change of getting a seat with the ticket'. Haputale is not a starting point for bus lines hence indeed risky to hope for a seat. Bus to Badulla (line 99) and train from there, indeed 2 tickets, is probably best to get a chance for a seat.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

B W
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Haputale to Kandy - will we get on train?

Thanks for your reply Erik and Sandya. Sounds like a bit of a hassle, but I definitely don't want to be standing all the way back to Colombo! Will take your advice, cheers.

5. Re: Haputale to Kandy - will we get on train?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, May 25, 2015