We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving to Haputale from Colombo

Tokyo Prefecture...
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Topic
Driving to Haputale from Colombo

Hi,

My friend and I want to go to hill country by car (due to limited 2 day schedule) - specifically going from Colombo to Haputale and back. Do you have any recommendations on drivers to use, and how much we should expect to pay?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Colombo
Colombo
Western Province, Sri Lanka
Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving to Haputale from Colombo

Colombo to Haputale and return is approx. 350 km, so count on approx. LKR 16,000-17,000.

Hans

Mentioned in this post
Colombo
Colombo
Western Province, Sri Lanka
Kandy, null, Sri...
Level Contributor
17 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving to Haputale from Colombo

bus and train service available

but if you want a vehicle, take only colombo to haputale ( no return)

definitely you will able to find a vehicle back to colombo with cheap price

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
58,572 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving to Haputale from Colombo

That's crap information Aruna. You should be VERY well aware that the price for one-ways is a lot higher than the price for returns, and in this case it's only 1 night so even if they have to pay the overnight guesthouse of the driver the return price is always better.

Example:

* One-way 175 km @ Rs 70 makes Rs 12,000

* Which means return Rs 24,000 if two separate rides

And the price with return ride is Rs 16,000 as mentioned above plus maybe Rs 2,000 for driver acco...

So even if you can get a one-way ride back for 10,000 instead of 12,000 still the return model is better...

Tnx,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

London, United...
Level Contributor
809 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving to Haputale from Colombo

Erik is right, you could save some money hiring a driver for return journey.

Level Contributor
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving to Haputale from Colombo

Hi dear if you like you can do like this u can catch the train from colombo and also u can catch the first class tickets also it will be 3000 rs with air condition and lot of seanories with fun from airport to colombo the taxi will be 2000 rs. If you need any further information you can mail me any time i will help you Brushantha@yahoo.com

6. Re: Driving to Haputale from Colombo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 29, 2014