We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Horton plains

Which Haputale hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
Level Contributor
3 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Horton plains

I would to visit horton plains in the early morning about 7am. Does anyone know any good hotel nearby with nice view and rate below usd80? Also any advice walking inside Horton Plains? I wish could see much of the wildlifes but also worry about the safety, any tip is welcome.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
52,097 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Horton plains

Hi there,

Ohiya has a few nice guesthouses within your budget and is closest to the entrance. Eliya and Haputale are other options, Haputale of these two has the best views.

In HP the usual walking route is WE first (90 mins from entrance) and then Baker's Falls and exit again. Wildlife is mainly small, chances of seeing the elusive mountain leopard are minimal (far below those for the normal tropical leopards seen in Yala, Wilpattu and Udu Walawe). Safety is not an issue in the park...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Kandy
Level Contributor
209 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Horton plains

Hi,

You should be able to find a place in Ohiya with a very good view.

tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g2562188-Ohiya_Uva_Pr…

If you are concern on the safety you could arrange a guide at the Horton Plains entrance. Unless it is raining i do not think a guide is needed to walk to worlds end and bakers falls, which are the main attractions at Horton Plains. You can follow other tourists.

From the Horton Plains national park you can also climb Kirigalpotha (second tallest mountain in Sri Lanka) and thotupola kande (third tallest mountain in Sri Lanka). There are less people who climb Kirigalpotha and thotupola kande. So if you wish to trek these two then I would definitely advise you to use a guide.

3. Re: Horton plains

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, January 02, 2014