We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Private Driver in Gangwon

Singapore, Singapore
3 posts
Save Topic
Private Driver in Gangwon

Hi there

I am kind of new here and was wondering if any can help on my Gangwon Skiing trip.

I am going in a group of 4 and have booked Daegwalnyeong Sky Keeper Pension for a 3d2n stay over (26th Dec - 28th Dec '13). However we are planning to go over to Pyeongchang Ski Resort for some Skiing activities, and likely some other activities like mount seoraksan, sheep farm, etc. I am wondering if taking a cab would be cheaper/convenient or hiring a private driver. Does anyone has any private driver that you have engaged before to recommend?

Thank you!

Cheers

Penny :)

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
10,947 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Private Driver in Gangwon

I can't help you directly- I don't think private drivers are normal in Korea, except on Jeju.

Cab drivers certainly don't speak English as a rule, although many have a "free interpreter" phone system- you say "free translation", they pass their phone to you, you speak in English to a human, pass the phone back and the human tells the driver in Korean what you wanted.

Singapore, Singapore
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Private Driver in Gangwon

Hey there!

I suppose I would need to move around either by a taxi or their bus. I hope travelling around Daegwalnyeong is easy.

Many thanks for the help!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
61 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Private Driver in Gangwon

If you merely want to get from point to point, you can use a taxi. Please note that the black luxury taxis are more expensive. Alternatively, you can hire a vehicle and an English-speaking Korean driver to take you around. My friends and I did that on our recent trip in May this year. From the airport, he drove us directly to various places in the country. That way, we managed to see more of the country in minimal time. In our case, we covered the eastern part of the country, from Mt Seorak to Busan, in 8 days. Also, language may be a problem out of Seoul and the main tourist places. In case you are interested to do it this way, our driver can be contacted at dugylee@hanmail.net

Singapore, Singapore
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Private Driver in Gangwon

Heya!

Thanks a lot for the recommendation. Definitely would drop him a mail. Did you and friends engaged the same driver for 8 days or on certain days?

Many thanks once again :)

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
61 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Private Driver in Gangwon

For 8 days.

6. Re: Private Driver in Gangwon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 am, February 10, 2015