We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ordinary Car / Green Car (1st class)

Singapore
Level Contributor
146 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Ordinary Car / Green Car (1st class)

Planning to get the Suica & NEX card for trip around Tokyo. Not sure which to buy either the Ordinary car / Green car. Price varies for both.

Just to double confirm:-

- SUICA card for travelling around Tokyo (bus, subway, monorail, all station under JR East rite)

- NEX card, is it for Narita airport to Shinjuku / Shinjuku to Narita airport only ?

- Anyone can advice the differ of Ordinary car / Green car

Appreciate all advice.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,344 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ordinary Car / Green Car (1st class)

For most people, ordinary class is fine. If you always travel business or first class (or want to splurge for a change), get the Green car version.

There is no N'EX card- the deal you are referring to is SUICA bundled with N'EX ticket at bargain price.

SUICA/PASMO is a value-added card. You can get it at any station in Tokyo, but if you are taking the N'EX and if you are a foreigner, why not get the combo?

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
24,602 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ordinary Car / Green Car (1st class)

The NEX ticket covers a wide area. You can see it here on a map:

www.jreast.co.jp/e/suica-nex/index.html

I'm a business class traveler and usually get Green everything but not the NEX. For a short ride between NRT and Shinjuku, it's not worth it. The ordinary cars are good enough and never that crowded either.

Singapore
Level Contributor
146 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Ordinary Car / Green Car (1st class)

Hi All

So its SUICA bundled with a ticket called NEX.Sure..sure..will pick up the combo. Anyway, I will be taking the NEX express train and alight at Shinjuku Station.

My flight arrived at Narita 0715. Since the JR Travel Service Counter is not open yet, I can visit the JR ticket office rite? Can I purchase the combo package there as well?

Which exit should i use from the shinjuku station to get a cab to CITADINES apartment? Also to avoid the crowd in the mrg.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
54,184 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ordinary Car / Green Car (1st class)

You can indeed get Suica-NEX from the JR ticket window when the travel service center is not open. Ordinary class is fine for most folks. There is plenty of room on board.

Citadines is nowhere near JR Shinjuku station itself. Your best option is to come out of the east exit and take a taxi.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
484 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ordinary Car / Green Car (1st class)

We purchased green passes for our trip and really enjoyed the seats. Ordinary looked perfectly fine but when on holidays, splurge if you can

Singapore
Level Contributor
146 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Ordinary Car / Green Car (1st class)

Hi..hi..

Thanks for all the advices. Will be frequent in these forum because still preparing my itinerary for dec trip.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
34 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ordinary Car / Green Car (1st class)

Regarding the difference between ordinary and green, I don't think there are any major differences in terms of comfort. When I was buying my tickets, most of the ticket vendors told me the smarter option was to get ordinary, as differences weren't that great and you obviously save money that you could use elsewhere. Have fun planning your itinerary :)

8. Re: Ordinary Car / Green Car (1st class)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, September 09, 2014