We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To and From Narita airport and Shinjuku New City Hotel

Singapore, Singapore
5 posts
Save Topic
To and From Narita airport and Shinjuku New City Hotel

Hi,

I am reaching Narita Aiport at 2030 hrs and is going to Shinjuku New City Hotel. By the time I reached Shinjuku station, it will be around 2300 hrs. I will miss the last hotel shuttle at 0950 hrs. Hence, Will appreciate if you can advise if there is best way for me to go to the hotel. I will be alone. Is it safe for me to walk to the hotel?

My flight departs at 0940 hrs on Sunday. Please advise where can I get the train time table ( Keisei Main Line) for trains leaving Shinjuku to Narita airport and the best way to go to airport.

Btw, I am on budget. Thank You.

Mentioned in this post
Narita
Narita
Chiba Prefecture, Japan
Shinjuku
Shinjuku
Tokyo, Japan
Special Offer
Tokyo Robot Restaurant Cabaret Show...
107 Reviews
from $57.30*
$76.40
Likely To Sell Out
Tokyo Robot Cabaret Evening Show...
898 Reviews
from $68.80*
Tokyo 1-Day Tour: Meiji Shrine...
1,105 Reviews
from $94.60*
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
8,751 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: To and From Narita airport and Shinjuku New City Hotel

http://www.hyperdia.com/en/

Tochomae - NARITA AIRPORT TERMINAL 1

Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Hakone-machi, Minato
Level Contributor
7,182 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: To and From Narita airport and Shinjuku New City Hotel

Tokyo is a safe city. You need not worry about walking around. It'll probably be a 20 minute walk from Shinjuku (there's a tunnel from Shinjuku to Tochomae).....or a closer walk if you took the subway (Oedo Line) to Tochomae.

Nao's link is for the train system. It might be faster for you to just walk back to Shinjuku, rather than taking the subway and walking (the subway station is a bit of a hike).

Type in Shinjuku for "from" and Narita Airport Terminal 1 for "to." You can choose the arrival time or the departure time. If you get on the 5:56 am Yamanote Line to Nippori, you'll be able to catch the 6:35 am Keisei Skyliner to Narita. 7:14 arrival. That should be plenty of time for your flight.

Mentioned in this post
Tokyo
Tokyo
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
Shinjuku
Shinjuku
Tokyo, Japan
Narita
Narita
Chiba Prefecture, Japan
Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
26,736 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: To and From Narita airport and Shinjuku New City Hotel

It'll be so much easier to take the NEX direct to Shinjuku. If you buy the Suica/NEX combination, the NEX fare would be only 1,500yen (in case you buy the one way version.)

www.jreast.co.jp/e/suica-nex/index.html

Mentioned in this post
Shinjuku
Shinjuku
Tokyo, Japan
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
57,798 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: To and From Narita airport and Shinjuku New City Hotel

The issue is the hotel is located west of Tochomae. Since limobus is not an option to the west side hotels by that hour, I normally recommend Narita Express + Suica as well since it costs just 300 Yen or so more than the slow Keisei Limited Express + Yamanote Line. To the hotel though, there will be a long-ish walk, or see if you can allow some budget for a taxi ride that shouldn't cost much more than 800 Yen, if that.

Mentioned in this post
Narita
Narita
Chiba Prefecture, Japan
Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,736 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: To and From Narita airport and Shinjuku New City Hotel

Don't try to walk to the hotel from Shinjuku Station. It's a long walk plus you need to go through an area frequented by many homeless near Shinjuku Central Park. Take a taxi.

Mentioned in this post
Shinjuku
Shinjuku
Tokyo, Japan
East Coast of...
Level Contributor
587 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: To and From Narita airport and Shinjuku New City Hotel

I think your advice might be a little misleading, Shibuyakko. The walk from Shinjuku to the New City Hotel is not that bad, unless elmohi5 packed way too much luggage. And unless the homeless have recently started harassing passersby, you might not even know they are there. My wife and I actually enjoyed starting and ending our days with a walk through Central Park. Of course, a few extra steps will take you around the park altogether, for a grocery run for instance, and walking past the skyscrapers can be interesting as well.

Considering your budget, elmohi5, I say walk it for free. It'll be a small fraction of the distance you're likely to walk every day. If it's too hot or wet, duck into one of the tunnels on either side of the government building. Take a different path each time and explore that underrated neighborhood. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Mentioned in this post
Shinjuku
Shinjuku
Tokyo, Japan
Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Hakone-machi, Minato
Level Contributor
7,182 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: To and From Narita airport and Shinjuku New City Hotel

The homeless are just lonely people who have no homes, either by choice or unfortunate circumstances. They don't hassle, they don't threaten.....they're just there, to find a home among the trees. Shinjuku has main a point of eradicating them, so many have moved to other wards, ie Shiibuya. There's a whole village of blue tarps out in the "back," away from the footpaths in Yoyogi Park. On sunny days, they hang their bedding out to dry..... just like the rest of us.

Yes, it's a trek from Shinjuku station to the hotel, but if Elmo is traveling on a budget and, hopefully, carrying a backpack, it's a nice walk. It's not dangerous.

Mentioned in this post
Shinjuku
Shinjuku
Tokyo, Japan
Yoyogi Park
Yoyogi Park
1,922 Reviews
Shibuya, Japan
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
57,798 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: To and From Narita airport and Shinjuku New City Hotel

While I don't think it's unsafe, I recommend a taxi because it really doesn't cost a huge amount vs walking in the dark after a long flight and a train ride, plus the risk of getting lost. Also, this really is quite a far walk. Expect a walk of at least 20 minutes pulling bags.

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,736 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: To and From Narita airport and Shinjuku New City Hotel

Considering that op arriving at Shinjuku Station around 23:00, I still highly recommend taking a taxi. It is a long walk with luggage.

Homeless people have never bothered me in any way so far but some of them are pretty drunk by late at night. I won't go into Shinjuku Central Park after dark. It's just my personal preference.

Mentioned in this post
Shinjuku
Shinjuku
Tokyo, Japan
East Coast of...
Level Contributor
587 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: To and From Narita airport and Shinjuku New City Hotel

But Shibuyakko-san, you're missing the beauty of the Central Park waterfall under a somewhat starry sky! And what about the serenity of the small but lovely Kumano shrine, just sitting there, posing like a postcard, waiting to be discovered?

I suppose by now that Elmo realizes that whichever choice is made will likely result in success. Wouldn't it be nice if we got to hear all about it after it's done?

(As a side note, I assumed that the drunken homeless would be more fearful of the possibly drunken me than the other way around.)

Mentioned in this post
Kumano Shrine
Kumano Shrine
90 Reviews
Shinjuku, Japan