We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do in two bases with two kids - bay and shinjuku

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
622 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Things to do in two bases with two kids - bay and shinjuku

We have three days in april in the Bay Area hoping to tick off Disney while we are there, and then we have about five days in shinjuku area hotel one day of which will be taken attending a business function. What would everyone recommend we prioritise for the days we are neither in Disney nor at work? I know my DS would love to ride the bullet train,I think we may try and get to Mount Fuji and otherwise, what should we see and do? We are excited about visiting Japan for the first time and want to fit in as much as possible. Quirky and obvious suggestions please, for instance I see there's a cat cafe in shinjuku and my kids would LOVE that, ditto, the cosplay teens! My kids will be 12 and 8 and pretty grown up and cultured!

Coolum Beach...
Level Contributor
887 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to do in two bases with two kids - bay and shinjuku

Miraikan on Odaiba Island is fun for young ones. Getting there on the driverless monorail over the Rainbow Bridge is an interesting experience too.

The area around Kiddyland, accessed from Harajuku station, has a number of interesting places; you need to go into the side lanes for the most impact.

A trip to Nikko would take most of a day. The shrines and temples are colourful and interesting. This would give you a reason to take a shinkansen. From Shinjuku there is a morning rail service (Tobu / JR limited express) to Nikko. You could return on JR via Utsonimaya (local train from Nikko then shinkansen to Tokyo) or if you are not based at Shinjuku then take the JR line both ways.

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
622 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do in two bases with two kids - bay and shinjuku

Great tips, thank you. Going to consult my guidebook and earmark some pages now ... Knowing where to start is a bit intimidating so great to have a starting point. My 12yo DS has always been fascinated by Japan (since he was about 4!) with little input from us, so I'm hoping he gets to experience as much as he can in our short trip!

Any more family centred trips or places to see would be great!

3. Re: Things to do in two bases with two kids - bay and shinjuku

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, January 25, 2014