We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day in Tokyo

Wisconsin, United...
3 posts
Save Topic
One day in Tokyo

I will have a stop over on January 16, 2013 in Narita Airport. I will arrive at 7:30 on the morning and will be departing at 6 that afternoon. With transportation I figured it will give me 5 hours (10 to 3) in Tokyo.

Would be willing to hire English speaking tour guide to maximize my visit and get as much in as I can in that time.

Any suggestions?

If I can not find English speaking guide what other options would your recommend?

Thank you in advance.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
51,151 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One day in Tokyo

Take Keisei Skyliner or Narita Express to reach central Tokyo. They both offer special packages for NRT inbound passengers:

keisei.co.jp/keisei/…skyliner_metro.pdf

www.jreast.co.jp/e/suica-nex/index.html

I think for such a short layover, you should just focus on a couple of areas yourself. The transport network is magnificent. You can get around just by following signs.

Tokyo in general:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2164.html

Train fares and schedules:

http://www.hyperdia.com

tokyo
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: One day in Tokyo

Because they've just finished the renovation of Tokyo station,

I suggest to set your fast short tourdepart from there and walk from the station to the Imperial Gardens (10 minutes), which are in front of it, to taste the japanese manner of treat gardens (have a short garden walk - 1hour and half) than go back and go inside the Marounochi building for a lunch. Set your prize meal and check what is there.

At Marounochi building sky-restaurant you can have a 5 stars excellent meal, french, japanese or italian maybe chinese too you'll never forget

or on another side of the wallet a list of fast food meal of every taste.

Then if you like contemporay you could walk 15 minutes for one of the most contemporary Architectural beauty in the world, go inside the Tokyo International Forum (TIF) and breath...

Another options is the Sightseeing tour if it's a clear day, they're departing near the station as well I think every 30 minutes.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
5,084 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One day in Tokyo

If you find that you're too weary to plunge into Tokyo (no need to decide in advance), you could just go to Narita city, 12 minutes by train from the airport, and check out Naritasan temple. http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6401.html Browse the restaurants and souvenir shops along the way.

Back at the airport, there are lots of shops and restaurants between check-in and security. narita-airport.jp/en/…quicksearch_shop.html After passport control, in the departure area, there are few shops but there are day rooms and showers in case you want to freshen up for the rest of your trip: narita-airport.jp/en/…svc_37.html

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,025 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One day in Tokyo

>>Would be willing to hire English speaking tour guide to maximize my visit and get as much in as I can in that time.<<

I think for your short visit just going by yourself works better. You won't need English language speaking guides.

Narita City is not so bad as a stopover for a half day (Naritasan Shinshoji Temple and its outer market is nice) but if you want to get into central Tokyo, you might consider taking Keisei Skyliner to visit the more >>traditional<< Asakusa and Ueno area. Take JR Narita Express for the upscale Ginza/Yurakucho/Marunouchi area, Shibuya area popular among the young and hip, or Shinjuku which has a bit of everything.

What you shouldn't do is a) take a taxi into central Tokyo from Narita Airport (which is 60 km away and could cost over 20,000 yen), b) follow English-speaking immigrant pimps and solicitors at bars area like Roppongi and Kabukicho.

You might be interested in this site:

http://www.gotokyo.org/en/index.html

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2164.html

jnto.go.jp/eng/location/rtg/pdf/pg-305.pdf

Edited: 1:45 pm, December 03, 2012
Wisconsin, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: One day in Tokyo

Thank you so much for your input! I will defiantly use your tips.

Coral Gables...
Level Contributor
8 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One day in Tokyo

Hi Natasha,

There is no need to hire a guide. This is the world's best transport network. No need to take a taxi, remember this country is the world standard for trains. You can find anything on your own. Japanese people are the kindest and most helpful people in the world. Ask anyone and they will help you out.

I don't know where your journey begins, but you might feel tired to brave Tokyo. Use the 'shower rooms' in the airport to refresh yourself- they cost about $15 for a half hour and it is worth it if you are travelling a long distance.

Keep in mind that the area around the airport is more culturally significant than you might have found in other countries. Narita gets lots of Japanese tourists too. The tourist center offers authentic tea ceremonies and other cultural immersion activities that you can experience in a few hours.

There are some areas right around Narita that are great if you like nature walks. These areas are great in the autumn, with the leaves changing colours- I really don't know how they look in January.

7. Re: One day in Tokyo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 pm, December 17, 2013