We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

shinjuku station

São Paulo
Level Contributor
125 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
shinjuku station

I'd like to entry shinjuku station (JR) just for planning the forward trips or to meet a friend inside the station . Can I entry the station after the ticket gate , visit inside the station and tracks and come back out using the Suica Card without paying? Is it possible to do it?

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
23,967 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: shinjuku station

You can enter by buying an entry ticket (130 yen). I'm not sure SUICA charge you properly; I've never tried.

Meeting a friend inside the station is not recommended. If you insist, you might plan and arrange beforehand otherwise your friend might be discovered centuries later as a naturally mummified body.

http://blog.livedoor.jp/news23vip/1203942.jpg

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
23,166 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: shinjuku station

Suica cannot be used as an entry ticket.

If you're meeting with someone in Shinjuku Station, in or out side of gates, be very specific. Shinjuku Station is the busiest train station in the world with daily commuters of 3.8 million people and more than 220 exits.

tokyo
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: shinjuku station

I recommend you meet at one location, like outside SOUTHERN TERRANCE EXIT of the JR station, tends to be "not as" badly crowded as say the East or West exit of the JR station. As mentioned, meeting inside the JR gates doesn't really help much.

São Paulo
Level Contributor
125 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: shinjuku station

thank you very much for all for ready answers. I think I will not wait a friend inside Shinjuku but I'd like to walk inside before take trains in Tokyo or before traveling to Kyoto or Yokohama because I'm worried about the size and number of tracks in Shinjuku. I've read a lot about Shinjuku station here in trip advisor and other sources in the web but I'd like to visit inside before the day of the travel just for convenience and with more ease

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,463 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: shinjuku station

There's really no reason to fret or worry about the tracks in advance. Everything is clearly sign posted, especially if you are sticking to JR Lines. Other private lines are there as well, and they are in a separate section from the JR lines.

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
23,166 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: shinjuku station

Here is a map of JR Shinjuku Station.

http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/stations/e866.html

7. Re: shinjuku station

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:16 am, December 17, 2013