We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shinjuku or shibuya?

singapore
Level Contributor
12 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Shinjuku or shibuya?

Would you recommend staying in ShinJuku or Shibuya?

Any good hotels to recommend?

Possibly traveling end of Dec to early Jan. Hopefully, the temperatures then will not be too drastic.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,211 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shinjuku or shibuya?

Both are fine, but It's better for you to cite your budget range.

As you know, plain "good" hotels are hard to recommend. Park Hyatt is a good hotel but when you add a question "is it worth it?" some people say yes, others say no.

Check the hotel rankings in the tripadvisor hotels list.

Hotel Sunroute Plaza has 1,417 reviews with average dots of 4.5. It can't be so bad. Hotel Century Southern Tower has a higher rating but it's a bit more expensive hotel. But people give higher ratings than Hilton or Hyatt Regency.

If you are looking for budget but still quite nice hotels, you might consider Ikebukuro, which is a similar railway hub district full of shopping and dining choices. Tokyu Stay shouldn't be a bad choice there. Ikebukuro-Shinjuku-Shibuya aren't that far apart (about 15-20 minutes apart from each other), connected by 2 JR trains (Saikyo and Yamanote Line) as well as Tokyo Metro Fukutoshin Line.

Kyoto, Japan
Level Contributor
1,713 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Shinjuku or shibuya?

Shinjyuku has more options. In other words, hotels in Shibuya is limited.

There are a number of good hotels in both towns. Good hotel's rate is mostly good. Check your favarite hotels in Tripadviser Hotel page, or other reservation sites.

Temperature droops drastically low in the end of year to early Jan in Tokyo area; the lowest in a day is about 0 to 5C, the highest is 10 to15C with low humidity. You will feel the temperature difference about 30C.

Edited: 4:45 am, October 14, 2012
Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shinjuku or shibuya?

That was exactly the same question I was asking my friends/family as online searches narrowed me down to Shinjuku or Shibuya.

I decided on Shinjuku as I wanted to have good night life in the area without getting stuck since trains don't function after midnight. My friends all say that every area has good shopping/food areas so location just depends on what your purpose of the trip is.

You should really book soon (unless you're not fussy) because I'm going mid Dec until early Jan and ideal rooms and hotels are going quite fast. Hotel Sunroute Plaza was recommended but unfortunately I think they only have their smoking rooms left so I ended up booking Best Western.

Unfortunately for me I didn't realise Best Western was in the middle of the red light district until after the booking was made... but I'm travelling with my bf and one of our friends (who previously stayed there) said that it's not that dodgy. I figure if I go Patong, Thailand with a girlfriend with no issues then Shinjuku with my bf surely can't be that bad... Hope that helps

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,211 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shinjuku or shibuya?

Best Western is in Kabukicho, a large and lively entertainment district which has hundreds of decent eateries and bars as well as cinemas, batting centers, karaoke. Just one note: you should never follow English speaking non-Japanese solicitors if you don't want to be drugged and taken every belonging.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
52,850 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shinjuku or shibuya?

Nothing wrong with Best Western being in the middle of Kabuki-cho. The area is safe. The sleazy people won't bother a woman for sure. Many of them don't even bother foreigners.

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
24,041 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shinjuku or shibuya?

>>>>Any good hotels to recommend?<<<

What is your budget? Accommodations range from hostels to 5* hotels.

>>>Nothing wrong with Best Western being in the middle of Kabuki-cho.<<

I absolutely agree. There really isn't anything wrong with the location.

singapore
Level Contributor
12 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shinjuku or shibuya?

@Shibuyakko -- I'm looking at a budget of S$150/night

@Sxylai -- Thanks!

@SanFran1946 -- oh dear.. the temperatures are really low! Hope nothing falls below zero degC ?

@Yobeekool -- Thanks! I will check out Tokyu Inn.

My initial choice was to stay in the Ueno area, about Ueno-okachimachi and Inaricho..

There is an inn I also found near the JR Yamanote Line (Shin-okubo). Then we decided it was not 'well-connected'. Looks like we are giving it a pass.

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
24,041 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shinjuku or shibuya?

I think you should keep your reservation at the Best Western. You really can't do much better for $150/night.

singapore
Level Contributor
12 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shinjuku or shibuya?

ah.. @Shibuyakko i think you are mistaken. I have yet to book my hotel. The one who made reservations in Best Western is @Sxylai .

I stayed with Best Western once, back in Sydney.

Level Contributor
1,667 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shinjuku or shibuya?

Both Shinjuku & Shibuya have good night life - clubs & live music. But Shinjuku has a larger concentration of hotels (not of the 'love hotel' variety).

Wherever you choose just type it into google maps & check the distance from the nearest main station.