We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Toyoko Inn near Shinjuku Station?

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
412 posts
109 reviews
Save Topic
Which Toyoko Inn near Shinjuku Station?

I want to stay near Shinjuku Station since we (4-6 40yr old ladies) have very early departure for Matsumoto on the Keio Highway Bus (0750). We will also be traveling in from Otorii after a night stay at Toyoko Inn Haneda post late night flight arrival. We need to go to the Bus Terminal first thing after arriving at Shinjuku Station to book our bus tickets for the Matsumoto departure 4 days later.

Studying all the Toyoko Inns that would suit my needs I have shortlisted them to 3 :

a. Toyoko Inn Shinjuku Kabukicho;

b. Toyoko Inn Tokyo Yamanote-Sen Otsuka-Eki Kita-Guchi No.2;

c. Toyoko Inn Tokyo Korakuen Bunkyokuyakusho-Mae.

I hope you can give me further feedbacks to help me decide which of the 3 suits me the best.

My requirements for accommodation choice are:

1. Very near to train stations. The nearer the better. Not using JR pass so not necessary to be on JR Line.

2. The station should have elevator/escalator since we will be lugging our trolley bags. Easy access between Shinjuku JR Station and the station nearest to the lodging.

3. The immideate vicinity litterred with eateries and small shops. Not into clubbing but do enjoy walking around vibrant, happening but safe places.

4. Not far from other attractions like Harajuku, Asakusa...

5. Since we are not couples, we need twin rooms or, if not available, larger double beds (Not the Economy Double beds).

a. Toyoko Inn Shinjuku Kabukicho

- The nearest station to this lodging is Higashi Shinjuku and when I look at Google Street View I didn't really like the surroundings leading from that station to the Inn. The walk from Shinjuku Station initially is quite nice but it tapers off to nothing much nearer to the lodging as well. Plus it is a longer walk.

- Complicated when transiting from the Keio Bus Terminal, having to go down exit 3 of Shinjuku Station's Toei Oedo Line, head towards Tochomae, change train and head out towards Higashi Shinjuku. Otherwise, take a cab.

b. Toyoko Inn Tokyo Yamanote-Sen Otsuka-Eki Kita-Guchi No.2

- 3 minute walk from Otsuka JR Station with elevator access.

-12 minute by train to Shinjuku JR Station. No transfer required. Exit at South Exit for walk to the Bus Terminal.

- From the Google Street View there are lots of small eateries in the vicinity but not trendy ones.

- This hotel doesn't have twin rooms. But they have larger 15m Double bed rooms. Has anyone stayed in these rooms? Is the bed large enough for friends to share? I really can't do those small doubles. Tried that before at Superhotel Kyoto.

- How is the area? Do you think it is too far out?

- How is the traveling situation between this station to Shinjuku JR Station at or slightly before 7am on a tuesday?

c. Toyoko Inn Tokyo Korakuen Bunkyokuyakusho-Mae.

- From Google Street view, pleasant area with smattering of eateries but not as much as Otsuka. But seems more sophisticated but a bit more dull (?)

- Toei Oedo Line goes to Shinjuku (20minute). Not as simple as Otsuka - Change track at Tochomae to Shinjuku and exiting Exit 3 for walk to the Bus Terminal.

- How is the area?

- How is the traveling situation between this station to Shinjuku JR Station at or slightly before 7am on a tuesday?

Thanks!

Mel

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
23,906 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Which Toyoko Inn near Shinjuku Station?

Toyoko Inn in Otsuka is on Yamanote Line and it does get crowded in the morning and evening rush hours. It's just a usual Toyoko so not many people are interested to post a review on it. I am only telling you that Keiunso might be recommended as it's near the bus terminal and the station but it is only a budget ryokan with unbeatable prices in central Tokyo within 10 min from the station, so you can't really be picky about it being old etc. Otherwise, it should be fine and the reviews say Keiunso was alright. Cheap, friendly atmosphere, near to the station, a bit old, but relaxing.

If you sent them a message, and if you don't get a message within a few days, reserve through Rakuten etc. or consider another hotel. Toyoko Inn Kabukicho is in the northern tip of an entertainment area (with some red lights but not everything) but it's not unsafe or anything, and you can avoid questionable people if you take the Hyakunincho route around Shin-Okubo stations. Share a taxi if you like to the Shinjuku Nishiguchi Bus Terminal (710 yen divided by 2-3 people in each car). Or, if you can avoid rush hours, staying in Toyoko Inn Otsuka or Keio Presso Inn Gotanda which are near to station should be just as fine.

Edited: 5:51 am, October 07, 2012
Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
412 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Which Toyoko Inn near Shinjuku Station?

If I have to catch the 0750 bus to Matsomoto (reserved ahead) I should leave Otsuka at 7 or sLightly earlier. What is the train situation like at that time between Otsuka and Shinjuku JR Stations? When are actually the dreaded rush hours of Tokyo?

13. Re: Which Toyoko Inn near Shinjuku Station?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:18 pm, December 14, 2013