We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

only having 4 nights in tokyo.

uk
Level Contributor
43 posts
1 review
Save Topic
only having 4 nights in tokyo.

i will be staying only 4 nights in tokyo from next week.is it worth talking the bullet train out of the city to another destination?will i have time to do this?this is my first visit to japan.help much appreciated.i'm based in shinjuku.

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
732 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: only having 4 nights in tokyo.

You could easily spend 4 days in Tokyo and not be bored. But if you are interested in history, then you may want to head out of the city. You can take a shinkansen to Kyoto, which I think is one of the most beautiful cities in the world for a day trip, although that's a pretty exhausting day. There is a one day tour from Tokyo from Kyoto available here: tctour.co.jp/plan/…kyoto_day_trip.html

I don't know anything about this company, I take a tour with JTB Sunrise Tours and was very happy with my experience.

Closer to Tokyo is Kamakura, which is a wonderful old town with the second largest Buddha in Japan. My wife showed me around here, but I see JTB has a tour from Tokyo: www.japanican.com/tours/tourdetail.aspx…

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,892 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: only having 4 nights in tokyo.

With only 4 days I would not waste hours travelling elsewhere. Tokyo has a little of everything and can easily keep you going for 4 days.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
50,435 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: only having 4 nights in tokyo.

Four nights are good for Tokyo itself. If you end up having some extra time, opt for a day trip to Hakone, Kamakura or Nikko. You don't need to take Shinkansen ("bullet train") train to these places as it's quite expensive.

4. Re: only having 4 nights in tokyo.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:18 am, October 22, 2012