We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sunroute plaza or citadines?

San Francisco Bay...
Level Contributor
47 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
sunroute plaza or citadines?

I am going to Japan in May and would like to stay in Shinjuku while we explore all that Tokyo has to offer. I want to balance the cost with location (and to a smaller degree, room size but I know most rooms are tiny so I am not as concerned about this).

I have narrowed it down to Sunroute Plaza or the Citadines and I am torn about which to choose. Sunroute is cheaper and seems to be better located near the major train station. Citadines is a bit more expensive, it's a bit further out of the main area of town but the recent reviews are better than Sunroute. I am leaning towards the Citadines but my only concern is having to constantly transfer from the Gyoenmae station to the main Shinjuku station.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
410 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: sunroute plaza or citadines?

I would stay at Sunroute Plaza because it is closer to the JR train station in Shinjuku and cheaper too.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
4,724 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sunroute plaza or citadines?

If location is your primary factor then Sunroute is better. It's right in front of the south exit of Shinjuku Station and walking distance from the airport bus stop.

San Francisco Bay...
Level Contributor
47 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: sunroute plaza or citadines?

Thank you for the feedback! I have decided to book at Sunroute based on the location.

London, United...
Level Contributor
55 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: sunroute plaza or citadines?

Sunroute Plaza

our choice

Tokyo
Level Contributor
2,346 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: sunroute plaza or citadines?

>>It's right in front of the south exit of Shinjuku Station<<

This info is misleading, I'm afraid. The Sunroute Plaza is near the Southern Terrace Exit.

Directions from the NEX track to Sunroute Plaza: …blogspot.com/2008/07/way-to-sunroute-plaza-…

I'll swap some photos to newer ones sooner or later because the stairs and the escalator from the platform to the hallway leading to the Southen Terrace Exit has been relocated. Also note that the escalator goes upward only from 18:00.

Take the Narita Express on the Suica and NEX package if you fly into Narita.

…blogspot.com/2008/07/narita-express-to-toky…

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
265 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: sunroute plaza or citadines?

Just a clarification question regarding going to the Sunroute Plaza from Shinjuku Station...

If we have luggage, can we still leave by the Southern Terrace Exit and get to the hotel without having to deal with stairs, or is leaving by the South Exit and crossing the street still the best way?

I've seen this (most likely out of date) YouTube video of the Southern Terrace to Sunroute Plaza walk, and it looks like you'll have to carry your bags up and down stairs at times (the guy in the video mentions an escalator in the direction of the Century Southern Tower)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NLqKjFNwyg

BTW, I really enjoy reading through that Bon Voyage blog.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
410 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: sunroute plaza or citadines?

Hi Khyron82,

Please check my post in this thread. I took some pictures of the Southern Terrace Exit last March. You turn right instead of left and you won't have to drag your luggage up the stairs. I am not sure if they relocate the whole thing, may be Optimistk can help you out on that.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g298184-i861-k3549…

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
265 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: sunroute plaza or citadines?

Thank you for that aloneInTheDesert (and sorry for hijacking this thread Reese797).

This is the first time I've seen any visual reference about the ramp to the right side... It's always been turn left and up the stairs to Starbucks.

Fortunately, I'll only have a wheeled carry-on type of bag with me when I get back to Tokyo from the tour (taking quite a few Shinkansens, so my large relatively-empty bag should have been shipped to the Sunroute Plaza a week earlier). The U-turn ramp to the right will come in handy when I head back to Narita with full bags, if things haven't changed in the meantime.

Now, I take it there are options to getting down to the Sunroute Plaza from the Southern Terrace (and back again) without using stairs? We have that forementioned (but not shown) escalator in the YouTube video, and I remember reading advice on taking the elevator in the Century Southern Tower hotel down to street level (or was it the JR Building next door?).

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
410 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: sunroute plaza or citadines?

Hi Khyron82,

Yes, you walk on the terrace to CST and take the elevator to the ground floor and turn right and cross the street to Sunroute Plaza. Just do the opposite when you go back to the station. But last time I used the South Exit to go back down to the NEX platform because there is an elevator inside the South Exit that takes you downstairs to the basement of the station and then you walk a little and then you use the escalator to go back up to the NEX platform. Pretty easy, you will find signs and directions that say "NEX EXPRESS".

Edited: 3:38 pm, February 19, 2011
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
265 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: sunroute plaza or citadines?

Okay, gotcha on that, aloneInTheDesert.

I've used Google Maps Street View to look at the ground level area in front of the Sunroute Plaza Hotel (I found the stairs in the YouTube video), but wasn't sure about where the elevator exit was until you confirmed it was at the CST. Nice to have a post office right in front to exchange money or ship large stuff home via EMS, and the Toei Subway entrance next door.