We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any Shinjuku Hotels that have "onsen" on site?

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
147 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Any Shinjuku Hotels that have "onsen" on site?

I would really like to visit an onsen but won't have time to travel to Hakone, etc.

Are there any good hotels in Shinjuku that have "onsen"?

The only hotel in Tokyo that I found so far is the Four Seasons Hotel Tokyo at Chinzan-so but apparently the location is not very convenient since there's nothing around there.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,750 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any Shinjuku Hotels that have "onsen" on site?

Oedo Onsen at Odaiba is your best choice.

http://www.ooedoonsen.jp/higaeri/english/

Tokyo
Level Contributor
378 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any Shinjuku Hotels that have "onsen" on site?

There is an onsen in Chofu, 20 mins. on the Keio express train from Shinjuku called Jindaji Onsen, there is a minibus at the station for the 5 min. trip. Jindaji also has a beautiful forest with a famous shrine with a lot of outdoor restaurants. There is also a small Edo-like village along the river on the edge of the forest that serves the famous Jindaji soba. The forest is a five minute walk over the hill from the onsen.

Alternatively close to Shinjuku (15 mins.) on the Yamanote Line is Sakura Onsen in Sugamo. The Sugamo neighbourhood is interesting with many traditional shops which is often inaccurately potrayed as Grandma's Harajuku but has become increasingly popular with young couples. Both have restaurants on site, are about 1800 yen and do not have the carnival-like atmosphere of Oedo Onsen(which is nice as well) Both also have indoor and outdoor baths. The outdoor baths are very nicely landscaped.

Edited: 8:16 am, March 20, 2010
tokyo
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
4,559 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any Shinjuku Hotels that have "onsen" on site?

Why would the hotel location matter if it is the onsen you are trying to experience? If you think the Four Season's location has nothing much around it, I wouldn't suggest visiting the suburbs of Tokyo like Chofu.

Any case I can't think of any hotels in Shinjuku that have onsens, as mentioned the closest thing if you are worried about location is Odaiba's Oedo Onsen.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,492 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any Shinjuku Hotels that have "onsen" on site?

Yes there are, kind of. Communal baths at Asuka Hotel in Shinjuku

…rakuten.co.jp/portal/my/info_page_e.Eng…

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
22,872 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any Shinjuku Hotels that have "onsen" on site?

The Asuka Hotel claims that it is genuine onsen:

…rakuten.co.jp/HOTEL/…2006651027202611.html

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
4,724 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any Shinjuku Hotels that have "onsen" on site?

Onsen is supposed to be natural spring mineral water, not just heated city water.

Interesting thing about 4S is the claim they truck in natural water from Izu. I would like to witness that.

In any case, its not likely you will find a decent onsen in Shinjuku. Like trying to find a tree in Brooklyn. There are a few around Tokyo that purport to be onsen. Oedo Onsen Monogatari at Odaiba is like a theme park built around its onsen baths.

Tokyo
Level Contributor
378 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any Shinjuku Hotels that have "onsen" on site?

In an earlier post I suggested Chofu's Jindaji Onsen as an option becausethe OP said they didn7t have time to goto Hakone. JIndaji has a beautiful forest, unique food and Edo era village and is a very pleasant afternoon or evening trip.

As for Oedo Onsen being closer to Shinjuku, it is not the case. It invovles approx. 10 stops to Shimbashi, change to monorail and then to the onsen. Sakura Onsen- www.sakura-2005.com is half the distance and a ten minute walk from the station, I believe there is a shuttle bus too. After sightseeing or on the way sightseeing, it is a hop off the trainand basically you are there. There is a nice restaurant, they do Korean body scrubs etc. The websitee is only in Japanese but the photos will give an idea.

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
22,872 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any Shinjuku Hotels that have "onsen" on site?

The Saikyo/Rinkai Line takes you from Shinjuku to Tokyo Teleport station in Odaiba in 24 minutes without a transfer. You can hop on Free Bay Shuttle in front of Teleport station and get off at Miraikan and walk for 5 minutes to Ooedo Onsen Monogatari.

Tokyo
Level Contributor
378 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Any Shinjuku Hotels that have "onsen" on site?

Shibuyayakko, good to know. Thanks!!!!!

I've been going to Odaiba the wrong way all these years. Can't believe it!!! We live 5 mins. from Shinjuku on Odakyu and I always hate taking the monorail in Shimbashi although the ride and view are impressive.. Still think Sakura is more beautiful and closer though.

Shanghai
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Any Shinjuku Hotels that have "onsen" on site?

So.... Anything in Shinjuku that could be recommended, even as a non-traditional Onsen? I'm not so concerned about the water being genuine, or trees and plants in the area. I just want hot baths, a traditional atmosphere and peace and quiet.