We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Book On TripAdvisor Bonus Book your hotel on TripAdvisor — then save 20% on things to do for your trip. Use code BOOKTOSAVE.

Odaiba to Fish Market

Which Minato hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Long Island NY
Level Contributor
779 posts
254 reviews
Odaiba to Fish Market

Our stay in Tokyo will be broken into 2 parts giving us the opportunity to stay in 2 different parts of town. We are considering spending 2 nights in Odaiba. How easy is it to get to the fish market from here in time to see the tuna auction.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
21,862 posts
120 reviews
1. Re: Odaiba to Fish Market

It's not easy. Odaiba is reclaimed lands development area connected by bridges. Public transport dies down at midnight and taking a taxi to Tsukiji can cost a lot.

Tsukiji Market is next to Tokyo's prestigious shopping area, Ginza (best restaurants are also found in Ginza). I suggest that you find hotels in Ginza/Tokyo Station area instead, which is within walking distance or a short taxi ride to Tsukiji Market.

Long Island NY
Level Contributor
779 posts
254 reviews
2. Re: Odaiba to Fish Market

thanks for the help. If we skip the auction and head to the market later when the trains are running, I assume it gets easier. Let me know if you disagree. I am not sure how realistic a plan going to the auction is. I see the only give out a small number of tickets each day.

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
19,853 posts
56 reviews
3. Re: Odaiba to Fish Market

Only 60 people are allowed to see the auction (120 all together for 2 auctions/day.) In order to obtain a spot, you'll need to be at the market no later than 4:30AM to register. A taxi will cost ~3,300yen from Odaiba.

Going later by train is of course cheaper. You can take the Yurikamome Line to Shinbashi and walk to the market in 12 minutes or so.

Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: Odaiba to Fish Market

Did you get your question answered? We were actually in both places on Friday with our 3 kids (we are from Chicago). We got to the market by 9:00am and it was spectacular (you really do need to be at the market for the tuna auction no later than 4:00am - which means you are up and out by 3:00am). Let me know if you still have questions and I will be glad to pass long our tips. Lukewarm about the Odaiba area. Nothing really there besides malls, but if you can get a reasonable hotel - then by all means stay there . I suggest the Yurikamome Line (JR). You can use your JR Pass on it our your Suica card.

Long Island NY
Level Contributor
779 posts
254 reviews
5. Re: Odaiba to Fish Market

thanks, I think we are all set. Staying breifily in Odaiba as an initial stop before heading South. We will spend 5 other nights in Tokyo in the Shinjuku area at the end of our trip. Really just one day to do anything there. I am planing on getting to the market at around 9 to tour and eat breakfast. Then back to the Odaiba area. The Museum of Emerging Science , Mega Web and Diver City are all on the table for the afternoon. I doubt we will have time for all 3.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
44,498 posts
116 reviews
6. Re: Odaiba to Fish Market

Remember if you want to eat at one of the inner market sushi places, you will likely be queuing up for 45 to 60 minutes minimum. I personally don't find that worthwhile so I just head to one of the outer market sushi restaurants.

7. Re: Odaiba to Fish Market

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, April 21, 2015