We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ATM withdraw limit

New Hope...
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Topic
ATM withdraw limit

So, after reading a bunch of posts here, it appears that I would be wise to get yen from an ATM at Narita airport upon arrival.

Does anybody know if there is a limit on the amount that can be taken out as there often is here in the US. Around here it's often a maximum of $300.

Thanks

tokyo
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
4,569 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ATM withdraw limit

The limit is set by your home bank account. Actually my US bank ATM has a daily limit greater than 300 when used in the US, so if you can't get more than 300, it's your bank card rather than the ATM.

ATMs can dispense an upper limit of 1million yen (over 10,000 USDollars) in one go, but it is dependent on what your local home bank withdrawal limit is. So if your bank card is set to 300usd you cannot take out more than the equiv amount in yen, even though the ATM has a different limit. You should contact your bank to see what it is, and to raise it for your trip.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,049 posts
665 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ATM withdraw limit

Best check with your bank beforehand to avoid surprise!

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
23,774 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ATM withdraw limit

Before you leave, ask your bank to increase the limit. If your limit is $300, you'll end up using ATM often and pay the fee each time.

My daily limit in the US is $1,000.

Edited: 3:13 pm, February 24, 2013
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,343 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ATM withdraw limit

Also, make sure to tell your bank the dates you'll be in Japan so they can put an international travel alert on your card. Otherwise, they may assume that international use is an incident of fraud.

Phoenix, Arizona...
Level Contributor
245 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: ATM withdraw limit

My daily limit on my debit card for cash is $1500 - the bank raised from $600 with no problems. Usually if you just ask the bank to raise the limit they will do so, assuming you have sufficient funds.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
5 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ATM withdraw limit

Mine is also $1,000 daily limit on withdrawals but I didn't ask for it, the bank did it automatically for some reason ...

7. Re: ATM withdraw limit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, March 27, 2014