We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Touring Mt Fuji

Australia
Level Contributor
97 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Touring Mt Fuji

Going to Tokyo and want to go to see Mt. Fuji. Is it easy to arrange to see on your own or do you think I should take a tour. How much do you think a tour would cost?

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Touring Mt Fuji

You can do it yourself but i would wait until you arrve in Tokyo and see what the weather is like because it's really only worth the trip if it's a clear day, you will also see it from the train window going down to Kyoto.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
1,680 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Touring Mt Fuji

Hi there you can do it on your own but I took the tour with Viator and it made for such a nice day with no hassles how to get there and back. We also had a great guide who gave us loads of infor not just about mt fuji but on all aspect of japanese culture and traditions which you wont get if you go alone. We also visited the lake Ashi which was stunning and went up the cable car. It was a great day and included lunch. Do bear in mind there are no guarantees of spotting the mountain and a good part of my day was in the rain. It was still a great day. I just checked the current price and it doesnt come cheap at about $200. I went a couple of year ago and it was a bit cheaper but sometimes a trip can be worth it rather than making all the effort yourself. There are probably cheaper options. in any case have a great trip

angie

www.angietravels.com

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
4,724 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Touring Mt Fuji

If you just want to see the mountain, no need to take a tour. You can get a bus direct from Nishi Shinjuku bus terminal for about JPY1,700 each way. The bus can take you to Lake Yamanaka or Lake Kawaguchi, you can then take a free or nearly free local tour bus around. You can take a bus to the 5th station from Kawaguchiko, if you want to see that.

Best season is winter, when there are more clear days to see the mountain. Other seasons can be hit and miss, mostly miss I am afraid.

5th station is closed in the winter.

Australia
Level Contributor
97 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Touring Mt Fuji

Thanks for the great replies. Will probably catch the bus down and dow it on our own. Hope the weather is great. Also did not know we could see it from the train window. Will definitely be keeping an eye out for it. Thanks again,

leigh

5. Re: Touring Mt Fuji

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:16 pm, June 17, 2013