We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tsukiji Fish Market

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
75 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Tsukiji Fish Market

Planning to see the tuna auction on 5th December (Fri) and we are staying at Shinjuku Prince Hotel

Q1) Seems like there wont be any public transportation at 4am and cabbing there might be the only way to Tsukiji market, is that correct?

Q2) Is it easy to flag down a cab at 4am near Shinjuku Prince Hotel? Or should I book a taxi in advance? (If so, what is the additional cost?)

Q3) After the tuna auction, we hope to try some fresh sushi for breakfast. Any personal recommendation? (budget around 2000 yen - 3500 yen, or is it going to be a lot more expensive?!)

Thank you everyone :)

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
873 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tsukiji Fish Market

The subway in Tokyo generally operates from around 5am to 12.30am (depending on line). If you want to go to Tsukiji at 4am, you would have to take a cab. Cabs are easy to get by in Tokyo. There are many along the roads outside Shinjuku Prince Hotel so there is no need to book in advance.

There are many sushi restaurants in Tsukiji to choose from. You can either join the long queues (for popular restaurants) or enter the ones with no queue depending on how patient you are. To me, they are all good.

Level Contributor
1,667 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tsukiji Fish Market

Simply ask the staff at the Prince Hotel to book a taxi for you the night before - it's part of the service at the hotel to arrange these things. They can tell the taxi company where you will be going. Don't walk out on the street looking for a taxi at 4am.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,389 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tsukiji Fish Market

I think the taxi companies charge additional 500 yen if you called. Whether it's an unnecessary investment or not depends on how you think about the price of things.

You might consider cancelling a night in Shinjuku and book another hotel around Higashi-Ginza and Tsukiji if the tuna auction is a must thing. The hotel can keep the luggage at the reception while you are away.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Tsukiji Fish Market

We heard that there's no tuna auction session being conducted during winter. Is this true? We'll be in tokyo 4-9 dec and is hoping to visit the Tsujkiji market.

Tks

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
24,925 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tsukiji Fish Market

The tuna auctions will be conducted during winter but tourists are usually not allowed to see them during December to mid January. The exact dates are not published yet this year.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Tsukiji Fish Market

Ok. Tks.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
75 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tsukiji Fish Market

What time do the sushi restaurants at the market open? Im hoping that if worst case scenario that I do not get a spot for the tuna auction, I still get a chance to try some fresh sushi while Im there.

Also, how much would a meal cost? (estimation? i know it would depends on the amount of sushi I order of coz)

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
54,861 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tsukiji Fish Market

Around 5am.

Sets usually cost around 3,000+ Yen per person.

9. Re: Tsukiji Fish Market

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, May 11, 2016