We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Summer trip to Japan

Rocky Mountain...
Level Contributor
67 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
First Summer trip to Japan

First time to Japan. Plan to fly to Tokyo from Canada then fly from Osaka to Hong Kong in July/2014. Itinerary will be Tokyo including DisneySea (I heard this park is unique compared to other Disney parks), Fuji mountain then Osaka-Kyoto-Hiroshima.

(1) Should I get JP pass for this trip?

(2) Any cheaper accommodations for the family of 4 - 2 adults, 17 & 12? Most hotels only have 2 single beds in each room. In this case, we have to book 2 rooms for my family.

(3) Is it do-able to make a one-day trip from Osaka to Kyoto then another day trip from Osaka to Hiroshima so we don't have to move from hotel to hotel with 2 suitcases?

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,389 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Summer trip to Japan

(1) If you aren't going anywhere else long distance, no need for JR Pass, as it won't pay off.

(2) Without budget and where you'd want to stay it's difficult to answer. Search for hotels with though conditions on tripadvisor hotel search, Rakuten, Jalan, and Japanican hotel search sites. It's too early to book though. There isn't a big selection of hotels in central Tokyo for 4 people in the same room. Most travelers are single. Check out Mystays if you need a budget hotel.

(3) Kyoto deserves more than a day; it's the top tourist destination in Japan. As Kansai Airport is directly connected to Kyoto by JR Haruka Ltd Exp train, why not stay in Kyoto instead? It would be easier for a day trip to Hiroshima from Kyoto than central areas in Osaka. Kyoto and Osaka are about 40 minutes apart from each other, though.

Edited: 1:17 am, December 03, 2013
Rocky Mountain...
Level Contributor
67 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Summer trip to Japan

- Does the bullet train go from Tokyo to Mount Fuji, Kyoto, Hiroshima & Osaka?

- I don't have a particular area for each place. I just want to stay in any budget hotel that is clean & safe as well as easy to get to the train station. We do not mind to walk as long as it is safe to walk back to the hotel at the end of the day. For sure, I would not consider hostel for my family. I just want us to stay together at least we can supervise the children. Hotels in Japan including budget hotels are not cheap. Would you like to recommend some of the areas we should stay?

- Sounds like Kyoto is the central place that we can make one-day to Osaka & one day to Hiroshima. Is Kyoto better than Osaka? Sorry, I haven't looked into Kyoto yet as I spent most of the research on Tokyo. Would you recommend us to take Peach airline from Kansai to Hong Kong? It is much cheaper to fly from Tokyo to Hong Kong.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
320 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Summer trip to Japan

You're almost certainly going to need 2 rooms. Most Tokyo hotel rooms are tiny! To get the kind of two double/queen bed rooms that you see here in the US and Canada, you will have to book at someplace like a Hilton, which will be the same cost (or more) than two smaller Japanese-style rooms anyway (and with two teenagers, I would think that 2 separate rooms with separate single beds for your kids would be ideal for both the adults and kids alike). Not cheap, I realize, but that's Japan for you.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
696 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Summer trip to Japan

You might look at budget ryokans (traditional inns, sleeping on futons) -- they sometimes have rooms for 4 people -- and would make an interesting experience for you and the kids. You can look here to search for places with larger rooms http://www.japaneseguesthouses.com/

Edited: 1:20 pm, December 06, 2013
Rocky Mountain...
Level Contributor
67 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Summer trip to Japan

Thanks for the advice on my post in Dec. Now we have set the trip to Asia for a month in July. Plan to fly from Canada on July 1 to be in Japan on July 2. My husband will not come with us. It will be me 50, son 12 & daughter 17. I have booked Holiday Inn Express on Tokyo Bay for 4 nights. I would like your feedback on my itinerary:

(1) Would like to go to Hokkaido after Tokyo visit. Should I fly or take the bulletin train? My friend recommended me to fly as the train will pass by Fukushima.....

(2) 2 days to visit Fuji Mountain - Is it worth to stay in the hotel in Fuji to see the sunrise or just visit the lakes for 2 days? Would like to go to Yokohama. Is it possible to put these 2 places in one hotel for 4 nights?

(3) Plan to go to Kyoto after Fuji & Yokohama. What will be the best route to get to Kyoto? Plan to take your advice to use Kyoto as central place to see surrounding areas ie Hiroshima & Osaka. Is 1 day in Hiroshima is enough?

(4) Fly to Hong Kong from Osaka via Peach airline to see my family for 7-10 days. Then fly from Hong Kong back to Canada. I have 3 G Apple i-phone. I need to phone my husband every day to ensure we are OK. What would be the cheapest route I should go for. My son has i-pad. I am thinking to get a sim card from Telus to get one-month Internet service for him to use in Hong Kong when we stay with family with no internet access. Can I use it in Japan too?

(5) Most Japanese stores/hotels only take cash. I heard there are ATM @Post Office or 7-11 would take Canadian Debit Card . I wonder this will be the cheapest way to travel in Japan. I have a Canadian Credit Card that there will be no 2% extra charge on each transaction if I use it in any foreign country. But I need to pay the currency rate.

(6) JP pass : How often do we need to take Shinkansen in this trip? If yes, should I get the pass from the travel agency in Calgary or just buy it on line?

6. Re: First Summer trip to Japan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:15 pm, October 31, 2015