We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sumiyoshi Shrine

scotland
Level Contributor
22 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Sumiyoshi Shrine

Hi, would like to visit Sumiyoshi Shrine, staying in Chiyoda-ku area opposite Hanzomon subway-what is the best way to get to this shrine. Can work out the subway's but not sure about the railways etc. Thanks

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
23,770 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sumiyoshi Shrine

You mean Yasukuni Shrine? Sumiyoshi is in Osaka.

From Hanzomon Station, Yasukuni Shrine is about a 10 minute walk. You can take the Hanzomon Line to Kudanshita (1 stop) and go out of Exit 1 if you prefer.

scotland
Level Contributor
22 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sumiyoshi Shrine

Many thanks for your reply- I am now aware that there is another shrine by this name, my guide book and map have the name of a shrine called sumiyoshi shrine, address 1-1-14 Tsukuda, Chuo-ku, Tokyo. Have managed to find it by Googling, however was unsure how to get there, on the map it is over the river Sumida. Might just give this one a miss, as I am sure there are loads more to visit- what do you recommend as one not to miss?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,530 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sumiyoshi Shrine

It looks like there is a relationship to the one in Osaka - chuo-kanko.or.jp/english/…profile.html . The shrine is closest to the Tsukishima station on the Yurakucho subway line. You would have to be more specific on the starting location in order for someone to give good advice on the best way of going there. Not sure about the draw of this shrine, as the link above only refers to the festivals it hosts. Most people would say Meiji Jingu is the top shinto shrine in Tokyo, but if you want to see alot of shrines and temples near Tokyo, I would suggest a day trip to Kamakura.

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
23,770 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sumiyoshi Shrine

There are many Sumiyoshi Shrine all over Japan, the most famous one being in Osaka.

I'd miss one in Tsukuda--it's a small one with not much to see.

If you haven't, visit Meiji and Yasukuni Shrine. Those are most impressive in Tokyo. Near Hanzomon, Hiei Shrine and Toyokawa Inari in Akasaka are interesting, so is Nogi Shrine in Roppongi.

scotland
Level Contributor
22 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sumiyoshi Shrine

Many thanks for helpfull replies, will make sure to visit suggestions.

6. Re: Sumiyoshi Shrine

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:19 am, April 16, 2014