We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bamburi

hull
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Topic
bamburi

just been told by thomson not to leave our all inclusive complex at the travellers because it is not safe to do so have i being misinformed

Edited: 3:47 pm, September 19, 2011
plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bamburi

My goodness !! how irresponsible is that?

if the company is that concerned ( why?) they should not sell the ruddy holiday

hull
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: bamburi

hi edna nice to hear from you, i know i couldn`t believe it when they said that , it made my wife feel quite on edge about going , fancy telling us that 3 days before our flight, we have got our suitcase packed for the orphanage and gonna get monika to take us for some foodstuffs aswell on the way, we arrive on fri morning going on safari on the sat for 3 days then we will be making our visit with monika.

Isle of Wight
Level Contributor
263 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: bamburi

Dave

It was because we did go out of the Travellers that we fell in love with Kenya. We have been to Bamburi 4 times in the last 16 months and arrive in 4 weeks for a 6 month stay, renting an apartment near Bamburi Beach. I am not as expert as many on this forum but have to agree with Edna that this is totally irresponsible and verging on fraudulent advice as I am sure they will be happy to sell their tours. Please get out and about. I am sure you will love it..

hull
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: bamburi

kevin or tracy thanks for the reasurance that reply has put my wife helens mind at ease, she was quite appalled as to what thomsons told us .

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,460 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: bamburi

Hi,

For Thomson to say that is wrong, misldeading, extremely sad and verging on the criminal, So many lives away from the hotels depend on tourists here.

I came for a two week holiday to Bamburi Beach around 5 years ago and like Kevin & Tracey, because I spent all my time out side the hotel, I also feel in love with the place, so much so that I now live here most of the year.

Please get out and about use the local shops, enjoy the local bars (they are like nothing at home), there are some great restaurants in spectacular settings nearby, visit the Lioness Cubs as you intend, you will end up having a rich and varied holiday with some unforgettable memories and you'll probably catch the incurable disease, Kenyaitis. I have met lots of tourist who have taken the advice and gone out and about and are so glad they did, then they go back to the hotel and shake their heads to find most people haven't left the poolside.

Have a read of the FAQs on the right for more info about things to do in the area, bars, restaurants, etc. One specific thing as you can't lie on the beach in front of the hotels at Bamburi because of the beach bars, if you want to lie on the beach turn left, walk for about 15 minutes and Yamas beach bar has loungers on the beach and no beach boys, you just have to buy a drink or two. Better still call Monsoons restaurant, get them to send a (very) cheap taxi for you around midday, use their loungers and have a swim on an empty beach then have a long leisurely lunch of great food, and stay and chill by beach until the sun goes down

PS don't let reps influence which orphanage to visit, there are tales of dark deeds involving reps and their advice about orphanages here

Shanzu, Kenya
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: bamburi

Remember, Thomson's want you to only go out of the Hotel with them on organised trips as they get all of your money.

Get out and enjoy yourself and Kenya. Just be careful and take the same sort of precautions that you would take anywhere else in the world.

Have a good holiday !

hull
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: bamburi

thanks everyone for putting our minds at rest, i`ll have a read of the FAQ`s doff, yeah thinking about it you could be right there WWB bout the organized trips, we are really looking forward to our holiday i feel its deffo gonna be different to what we are used to, by the way DOFF i think you need a refill looking at your profile pic LOL all the information you have provided for all the TA`s including me deserves a drink on me if you are around from next tuesday onwards. thanks again everyone................. Dave n Helen

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,460 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: bamburi

Hi Dave and Helen,

The photo wasn't posed, the daughter of the owners of Monsoons was messing around with my phone and took the picture, if I'd have known she was going to take it I'd have made sure there was more beer in my glass, but my glass is never more than half full anyway. I drink Tusker Malt in bottles, it stays cooler in the bottle than in the glass, and if you pour a little into the glass at a time it is always fresh and sparkling. If you fill the glass the last bit is flat and warm. But others have commented on it so maybe I'll get one taken with more in the glass ヅ

I'm around until late November so if you fancy meeting up for a drink, either I can PM you my number or if you go to Monsoons and I'm not there you can get Attilio to call me and if I'm free I'll pop round

Safari njema (Have a good journey)

edinburgh
Level Contributor
1,592 posts
270 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: bamburi

davenhull As a matter of interest were you actually 'phoned by Thomson direct or by your travel agent or sent a letter or e-mail.

It seems strange that many people are using Thomson and haven't been informed of this or have not noticed your post on the forum.

Certainly we always like to get around and about in Kenya when out and into Diani and Ukunda and the surrounding areas and visit or meet up with friends.

We normally take a day to Mombasa as well even if there is the ferry crossing as like the hustle and bustle there.

Sitting on the beach frying all day although a sun lover does not appeal to us and obviously safari and trips are the main part of the holiday.

I also don't also understand the post by Doffcocker re the reps influencing people and the dark deeds. Very mysterious.

I assume this refers to the North coast as not aware of any 'dark deed' going on at the South Coast!

Everyone normally has their favourite orphanage or school and will visit the one they support.

Certainly when I was out recently I was not aware of anything going on at the South Coast.

Have a safe trip.

Edited: 4:56 am, September 21, 2011
Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,460 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: bamburi

Maliaka,

The Op, the thread and the post is about the North Coast, not the South Coast, and Bamburi in particular. I have heard from several sources that some holiday reps are actively discouraging people from going to genuine, needy orphanages by telling them they are not trustworthy and instead encouraging them to go to one that has an increasingly dubious reputation. One can only guess why they may be doing so.

All I am saying is that if you have decided to go to an orphanage recommended by people on TA who have years of genuine charity experience then do not allow yourself to be swayed by people who do not have such experience and may have other motives. (Whatever those motives may be)

Edited: 5:27 am, September 21, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Bamburi