We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Orphanages Near Bamburi

7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Orphanages Near Bamburi

We are travelling to Bamburi Beach in april and are looking at going to an orphange to take some things for the children.

Could anyone give any advice on any that are close to the Bamburi beach Hotel or any recommendations, I have had a quick look at the Faq's page but any additional help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Craig

plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Orphanages Near Bamburi

several very good homes near the hotel strip and a couple a just a short taxi drive away who are not on hotel lists

I have sent you a PM ... wherever -whichever home you choose you will bring a little help into the home,

and the childen will enhance your holiday

I cannot emphasise enough the need of food - just basic Maize -(Ugali) flour -rice etc; bought locally ...the cost of all these items has risen dramatically .............

Dreaming
Level Contributor
127 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Orphanages Near Bamburi

I am not a huge fan of people dropping into orphanages as it is very confusing and upsetting for the children to see a parade of westerners filing in and out of the place, leaving a few bags of things, playing with the children for a while and never being seen again. Most of these children are already facing severe attachment issues and this sort of thing doesn't help. I say this as someone who was a long-term volunteer in an orphanage in Asia.

However, if you want to donate basic foods and things they could really use such as vitamins, blankets, nappies, etc then I am sure it will all be well received. Please do not donate sweets or chocolates. In such areas dental care is non-existant for impoverished or orphaned children and by giving them sweets you are setting them on the right course for a lifetime of dental pain and decay.

I don't mean to sound harsh but having 'been there, done that' with orphan care and worked for several years caring for the most vulnerable children in the world, I know other people mean well with their donations but a lot of what is donated is useless and the time spent playing with the children can do more harm than good for an intitutionalised toddler.

plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Orphanages Near Bamburi

I totally disagree with most of your post ...many of the members asking on this forum do not just drop in and forget the children and all the children -sent to the homes I persoanally reccomend - are not confused or upset when their visitors arrive or leave, the visits are vetted as much as can be ie: no child is allowed to be left on their own with any visitor ( as in the past with a few homes) all children are told what a visitor can bring as regards for their welfare and all the homes I reccomend do not allow for any one child to recieve something different or singly for themselves --a visit is shared - Asia is very very different than Africa - look at how Asian children play with toys and its rare for any child in an African home to have their own toys let alone how to play with then - the advice I give is for the welfare of children - health education and spiritual...

I agree with you 100% about excessive ( or no) sweets as the cost of dental care is horrendous or non excistent for many Kenyas but we do have several "returners" who will bring a treat and leave donations for treatment( if needed)

Most of the children in a home of Mombasa are not instituionalised but look foreward to visitors who bring education ( books posters pictures of their home ) Life ( as in food ) and love to the home, each child knows there is someone who takes an interest in them !!

12 years watching - observing and 7 years totally putting all my energy into one certain home - puts me in a very good spot to offer good advise making a choice of home, provisions , useful needed items - and making sure (perhaps) the visitor continues their help.

I also agree there are those who want a visit to tick their African visiting "box" but without the genuine visitors half of the children would now be in a "box "pushing up the daisies !!

Norfolk, England
Destination Expert
for Kikambala
Level Contributor
525 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Orphanages Near Bamburi

Please visit an orphanage if you possibly can. Whatever you can take , especially food is gratefully received. Visits are a huge blessing to children and their carers alike.

If you read many of the posts about visits you will see that many return again or continue to support when they return home.

Drakesdrum is with Mary and Danielle the most knowledgeable about homes in the coastal area.

Dreaming
Level Contributor
127 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Orphanages Near Bamburi

We will have to agree to disagree on this.

Children with attachment disorders very quickly develop a distrust of adults as their experience of visitors to an orphange are very much 'here one day, gone the next' and therefore the children find it difficult to build relationships with adults and form bonds.

I admire your faith in Asian orphanages providing toys for children. Have you been into a Chinese state-run orphanage? They never get out of the cribs, let alone play with toys!

plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Orphanages Near Bamburi

I have actually visited a Chinese State Orphange in Xian ( spelling?) and I was appalled by regimental way they treat the children and the lack of feelings.

African ( Mombasa ) children are not mistrustful of any visitor and welcome every one with a smile sometimes a song and a very happy heart . As for a toy? well many well run homes with trustful staff have excellent toys playthings - books educational and spiritually guiding. which all the children and staff have access to. and long may the visitors come knocking.

come and stay here for a few weeks and see the difference

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
989 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Orphanages Near Bamburi

Sorry China-dreaming but IMHO you are away off the mark, having been actively involved in schools & orphanages/homes in the Coast Province for the past 12 years visitors/tourists only enhance the children's day. It was just by chance that my husband & I "dropped in" on a school and luckily with help from Uk & Ireland ended up building a new school in Shanzu village which is run by four very dedicated people from England, now 350 pupils have a chance to have an education so they can escape the poverty trap.

I 'have been there, done that" and am still doing it along with so many other people who by a chance visit have dedicated their lives to the needy & impoverished and established homes/orphanages & schools in this area, and hand on heart I can say without this intervention the majority of these children would be dead so please note what Edna & Hazel say, please visit and enjoy the interaction with the children, and if you can bring some much need food supplies as the rising cost of fuel worldwide has meant that the basic diet of maize flour, beans, rice & vegetables is often beyond the reach of many people now.

7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Orphanages Near Bamburi

Guys!! Thanks for your input on some of the things to take! We have brought some clothes and footballs etc. We wasn't going to take any sweets, but may buy food supplies whilst we are there.

Any recommendations for an orphange near bamburi beach hotel would help us.

We would just like to go out there and help one of the many worthy orphanages.

Thanks again all!

plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Orphanages Near Bamburi

Crath82 Oh! dont worry were not fighting .. its always like this when children are mentioned - come -visit - interact - give a cuddle -read a book and allow your son to join in the fun the children are waiting xxx

maidstone kent
Level Contributor
453 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Orphanages Near Bamburi

tumaini a short cab ride from bamburi just pass the cement works.

but you have to make a appointment

Get answers to your questions about Bamburi