We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Child Sponsorship

Which Bamburi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hampshire, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Child Sponsorship

I was wondering if anyone else had encountered something similiar.

Parents have just returned from holiday in Bamburi, where they got talking with a hotel employee who asked for them to sponsor one of their children to to be able to go school and then university. The story goes that if they gave some money there and then (which they did) they would open a bank account and email the bank sort code and account details so that my parents could set up a standing order for a regular deposit. They 'agreed' to deposit £20 a month, which I understand is a lot of money in Kenya. Parents have now received an email with the bank details but have hesitated to set up the standing order.

Has anyone else come across anything similar and could it be a scam. It would appear very tempting (and easy ?) for the employee to tell this story to a number of visitors over a period of time and make a significant sum of money.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
989 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Child Sponsorship

Sorry Caroline but have you visited the government schools in Kenya, a nearby one to us in Magengo village has 85 pupils in each class, yes 85 pupils & guess what there are 30, yes 30 desks among 80 pupils, needless to say some sit at a desk some sit on the floor, there are no text books as the government cannot give them FREE text books, and as for the aid agencies, please do not get me started on that one !!!

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Child Sponsorship

"Okay all of you stop right now. You should never sponsor a child directly. education in Kenya is free"

Sorry, but you are completely wrong. Education at primary level is free. Secondary education is not. Every other cost - uniform, books, any peripherals, are not covered. And what's with the, "all of you stop right now"?! People posting here are either those with first-hand experience of sponsoring children and/or people right here on the ground, like myself. As a local, I would never donate through an aid agency or NGO. I see every day the damage that these organisations do to Africa; $1 trillion in aid over the past 50 years (since Independence) and sub-Saharan Africa is worse off and more poverty-stricken than at any time before that. Suggest you read Dambisa Moyo's "Dead Aid"; brief summary can be found here timesonline.co.uk/tol/…article7136758.ece

Money given directly to schools (and organisations like Starehe, previously mentioned), is far more beneficial and less damaging.

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,798 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Child Sponsorship

Primary education is technically free!! In practice there are things parents have to buy. However, classes up in this part of Kenya can be well over 100 to one teacher - many sitting on the floor.

The British Council runs an excellent programme "Global Schools Partnership". We are involved in this with a number of Primary schools in Western Kenya. (Around 20 schools, but the number is increasing). Over the last two years, we have had UK teachers (mainly Heads) here for a week or more in local Primary Schools. Recently, a group of 11 Kenyan Heads went to UK to their partner schools.

Secondary education is NOT free. The Government should subsidise it, but sometimes the money is very late. However, there are many bright children who miss out on school. Higher education is just as difficult. I am asked for help so often and do what I can with very well investigated situations, or families I have known for years. When I was teaching (I am now retired) I observed when bright girls were sent home for fees - these were the ones we investigated for possible help - not the ones who came asking!!

If anyone wants to know more from the UK teachers concerned in the Global Schools partnership, PM me.

14. Re: Child Sponsorship

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:18 am, December 08, 2010
15. Re: Child Sponsorship

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 13, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Bamburi