We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Windy weather ??

Which Santiago del Teide hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Canterbury, United...
11 posts
Save Topic
Windy weather ??

I've noticed that there are a few pictures floating around of extremely large waves crashing on the beach. Is this constantly like this or is it just when the wind gets up ?

We are thinking of booking this hotel for 2 weeks in August with 2 young children who love the beach/sea, but I'm worried it may be a bit too choppy in the sea for them to float around. They are 8 and 5.

Any comments welcome, thanks

Tenerife, Spain
Level Contributor
16,818 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Windy weather ??

Hi Tomo

You do not say where you are staying, Santiago del Teide is a municipality which covers towns and villages including Los Gigantes, Puerto Santiago, Playa LArena etc.

If you are in Los Gigantes then currently the beach is closed due to rock-fall however it should hopefully be open by August.

Puerto Santiago has a very TINY beach which is sheltered

Playa la Arena has a beautiful small, blue flag beach of black sand, which because of the colour can get hot. The waves, which are often big can sometimes be quite rough. If you are not a strong swimmer, care needs to be taken because there are underwater currents. Depending on the weather and the waves, it can sometimes be dangerous. If the sea is rough it is difficult to see the big rocks which are just below the surface and the beach can only be partly recommended for children as there is a steep drop in the water quite close to the edge.

I have information including photos on most of the island resorts so if you would like to see these please PM me your home email as I cannot attach to forums. This is applicable to anyone reading this post so it would also be helpful if you could tell me which part of the island you are interested in West, South, North.

http://redqueenmusings.wordpress.com

Edited: 7:41 am, January 12, 2011
Canterbury, United...
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Windy weather ??

Sorry yes, forgot to say, we were looking at staying at the be live Playa de la Arena and was asking about the beaches close by to the hotel.

Thanks

Puerto de la Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Tenerife
Level Contributor
1,601 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Windy weather ??

Hi Tomo,

Big waves don't necessarily equate to windy weather. I wouldn't worry.

4. Re: Windy weather ??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, July 12, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Santiago del Teide