We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Playa de arena - indifferent reviews creping in?

Which Santiago del Teide hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Leicestershire
Level Contributor
160 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Playa de arena - indifferent reviews creping in?

Hiya

We're looking to book a couple of weeks at the PDA in September. As regulars will know the hotel is under new ownership and the main tour operators offer it as AI. So, giving some recent not so great reviews, are standards falling? I would be especially interested to know if the poolside lunch is of the quality it formerly was - (fresh fish and meat etc cooked to order) and is this part of the AI package? Is the piano bar still waiter service? In the music hall are the drinks still poured out in front of you with panache? Is there still a dress code in operation? I suppose what I am driving at is does the place still have style; and, without sounding like a raving snob (!), attract a decent class of holidaymaker or is it now de riguer to wear football shirts for dinner?

Peter

Leicestershire
Level Contributor
160 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Playa de arena - indifferent reviews creping in?

Sorry to the pedants out there, that should read 'creeping in'!

Rutland UK
Destination Expert
for Tenerife
Level Contributor
11,555 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Playa de arena - indifferent reviews creping in?

Hi Peter ....

I haven't been yet to the PLA with the new management .....the reviews are a bit mixed ...I had an email from one of the regulars that go there who was a bit concerned about several things ....he had heard they were not doing the usual activities and was looking forward to his usual match with my husband at table tennis !

So I decided to phone the hotel to see how things were going ....All the reception/housekeeping staff are the same ....I don't know if you knew the asst manager ...she was always around ....she has gone ...so a new manager and asst manager ....

They have all the activities...the night club entertainment...piano bar ......We don't go A I ...but what I saw when we were there last with the "Spring" company A I drinks came already mixed in the bar ...but HB were poured and mixed at your table , unless the show was in progress as it was quite dark then ....I think most hotels are the same with A I , certainly another hotel we stay in , in the north have this policy ... you see you are usually getting rubbish drinks with A I ...

No free bus to PDLA or discount card !

I expect there are bound to be a few things go wrong until the new people sort things out .....but where Oasis have taken over other hotels , the reports seem good and posters seem to think things had improved ...

Sylla

Rutland UK
Destination Expert
for Tenerife
Level Contributor
11,555 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Playa de arena - indifferent reviews creping in?

Better reviews coming along now Peter !

tripadvisor.com/…CHECK_RATES_CONT

Sylla

Leicestershire
Level Contributor
160 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Playa de arena - indifferent reviews creping in?

Umm, thanks for this Sylla - I suppose the proof is in the pudding. That English management lady you refer to is a sad loss. Carolyne wasn't it? I used to e mail her with details of my favourite room and she was always very obliging. At present First Choice are offfering two weeks AI in September for £860 which is probably not a lot more than HB. I might just book that and pay extra for top shelf brands and a bit of shmoozing.

I'm a bit of a pessimist and it just feels that the reviews in general for this area e.g.Barcelo and the Los Gigantes Hotel are not what they were. In terms of the former, there used to be a complimentary shuttle to LG and also a piano bat etc. I just hope this part of Tenerfie does not have its best days behind it.

Peter

Rutland UK
Destination Expert
for Tenerife
Level Contributor
11,555 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Playa de arena - indifferent reviews creping in?

Really glad ..it doesn't have a Piano BAT now LOL ! for sure I know what you mean ...slip of the finger to the next key !!!!

Sylla

Nantwich
Level Contributor
717 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Playa de arena - indifferent reviews creping in?

Sylla you make me laugh, it's just the way you say it and get away with it.

Rutland UK
Destination Expert
for Tenerife
Level Contributor
11,555 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Playa de arena - indifferent reviews creping in?

Now Batman might just be different and draw the crowds ...

…deviantart.net/fs41/300W/i/2009/021/7/d/Qui…

Peter be careful what you write LOL !

Sylla

Leicestershire
Level Contributor
160 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Playa de arena - indifferent reviews creping in?

I think I prefer Ramon or is it Ramone?

leicester
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Playa de arena - indifferent reviews creping in?

Hi Peter - I have stayed at the Arena five times (with a young family) in the last eight years and am booked to take my parents for Christmas for their Golden Wedding Anniversary. But I guess like you am very nervous about the management take over. I also used to speak with Caroline and kept getting fobbed off when I tried to speak with her about the take over. I did eventually speak with the new manager but he only told me what I wanted to hear, I'm sure!

My husband keeps telling me not to worry that there are plenty of good reports as well as bad and we never go all inclusive which a lot of the complaints seem to be about. But my parents always go on cheap holidays and I guess I just wanted to spoil them with a little luxury which we have always experienced when we have been to the Arena.

Please let me know if you hear anything which will stop me worrying so!

Regards -Jo, Leicester.

PS I also love the dress codes and drinks being poured and was particularly looking forward to dressing up for Christmas dinner!

Leicestershire
Level Contributor
160 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Playa de arena - indifferent reviews creping in?

Hi Jo

Thanks for this. I suppose the key issue is it may well be OK, but we know how good it previously was. You knew you could rely on the PDA to deliver. I'm hoping to go in Septmeber . Hopefully I'll be posting a review soon.

Peter

Get answers to your questions about Santiago del Teide