We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

noro virus

ireland
Level Contributor
89 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
noro virus

We are booked to go to the Hotel Playa de la Arena, 38683 Santiago del Teide, next Monday. I have only just found out about the norovirus bug. Does anyone know if there are still cases in the hotel and would we be advised to change our booking and if so where to.

Rutland UK
Destination Expert
for Tenerife
Level Contributor
11,818 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: noro virus

analissa....

I have just answered your other post ....but if you haven't seen the hotel reveiws here they are .....

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g1058792-d24846…

S

Fochabers, United...
Level Contributor
2,347 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: noro virus

I think Secret Tenerife says it all - Quote

I’ve gone right into Victor Meldrew overdrive in the last few days. Exclamations of ‘Oh for God’s sake’ have been coming thick and fast…except that’s the censored version.

The first topic which has left me exasperated is the discussions about an outbreak of norovirus in the south west of Tenerife on Tripadvisor. This is a subject that won’t go away at the moment and there are at least ten threads about it.

I fully understand visitors’ concerns about this. Every November I have concerns about picking up a bug when I go to watch Man Utd in a bar full of people snuffling and coughing with cold and flu germs transported from Northern Europe.

And there lies the irony about the norovirus. Nobody can say where it came from, but there are a couple of factors which sort of point a finger. The first is that it seems to be specifically affecting areas where there is a high British visitor count. The second is that two friends who are nurses in the UK mentioned in passing that wards in their hospitals in completely different parts of the country had been shut down because of the same virus. Oh, and add to this that the Canarian population who don’t come into contact with visitors don’t seem to have experienced the virus and the evidence mounts.

If anyone decides not to come to Tenerife because of norovirus it’s a bit like Columbus and his men saying ‘we ain’t going back to the Americas – they’re full of sick Indians’.

cleethorpes
Level Contributor
12,146 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: noro virus

Blinking heck nelly you are typing with a stutter today lol

mind you your post counts going up

Yorkshire
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: noro virus

This is nothing new, norovius or by any other name, As a regular visitor to our apartment near Puerto Santiago for many years we have experienced it several times over the past 3 years.. The local theory is that it is something to do with inadequately treated sewage which goes out to sea and when it is windy it is blown back onto the land. It has been very windy this winter.

It is not confined to hotels, we know of 50 friends who are self catering who have suffered and resturants have had as many as 45-50 cancellations since Chrismas due to it. It affects all foreigners, German, Belguims, French and Brits

It has now spread all the way up the West Coast from St Migel to Los Gigantes.The local council of Santiago del Teide are aware of it but do not wish to alarm holiday makers, but as everyone knows about it who's going to be alarmed that aren't already?

They must now be seen to be doing something before it affects the economy of the area..

5. Re: noro virus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, September 21, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Santiago del Teide