We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

suggestions for special birthday day in chania/ agia marina

Birmingham, United...
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
suggestions for special birthday day in chania/ agia marina

Hi there. It is my partner's 30th birthday when we are away in crete in a couple of weeks (staying near agia marina and chania). I wanted to make her birthday a really special day and was wondering whether anyone who knew crete and the specific area well could think of anything that would be a really nice place to go or things to do, as I have never been to crete b4. I was thinking of something along the lines of a boat trip or special picnic somewhere or a really nice beach/bay or special restaurant. It is likely that we will be renting a car that day which should open up some options too :) I would be greatful for any suggestions that you think would make her day special!

Thanks, Daniel.

Cretan Mountain Jeep Safari
Scenic Drives, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Eco Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Safaris
Chania Town, Greece
Level Contributor
1,414 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: suggestions for special birthday day in chania/ agia marina

So many options!

You could drive to one of the spectacular beaches - Balos (needs 4x4), Elefonisi etc, taking a picnic - or there is a super taverna just as you leave the road onto the track for Balos. or you could drive to Kissamos & get the boat trip to Balos. or you could drive over to Sfakia for lunch next to the sea & beach at Frangokastello. Or you could drive up into the mountains for lunch at Milia eco-lodge.

Then in the evening, the obvious would be Chania - stroll along the harbour, look at the shops & people. Drinks on the harbour-front. Dinner somewhere special - Kariatis would be my choice for a birthday.

have a lovely time!

Birmingham, United...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: suggestions for special birthday day in chania/ agia marina

Oh wow- thank you so much for all your suggestions! They all sound great! Quite hard to choose really. Renting a 4x4 could be good fun too actually :-) Yes I thought chania would be the best bet for the night- really looking forward to it :-) is that one a nice restaurant?

Ottawa
Level Contributor
2,381 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: suggestions for special birthday day in chania/ agia marina

Chania old town in the evening gets my vote. Watch the gorgeous sunset.... take a horse-drawn carriage ride along the cobblestone streets at dusk as the town lights come on.... then enjoy a wonderful dinner in one of the many tavernas. Chania old town is one of my favourite places in Greece and I can't think of one which is more romantic.

Karen

Devon, UK
Level Contributor
873 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: suggestions for special birthday day in chania/ agia marina

Elafonnisi gets my vote as a special beach for a picnic. It's a bit of a drive, but you just have to treat the drive as paort of your day out. It may be busy when you get there if there are coaches, but if you keep walking along the shore of the little island (you can walk or paddle to it) you soon get away from the crowds and can sit on silver-white sands and paddle or swim in astonishingly clear, turquoise, shallow water. Follow that with an evening in Chania Old Town and you've got a day to remember!

Oooh, I'm envious! Can I come too?

Birmingham, United...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: suggestions for special birthday day in chania/ agia marina

Oh wow- you are getting me really excited now for going away to Crete! All sounds amazing- Thank you all for your suggestions! do you know if you can rent a boat at Elafonnisi? was just thinking that renting a boat for an hour or two could be fun!

Devon, UK
Level Contributor
873 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: suggestions for special birthday day in chania/ agia marina

I doubt very much if there are boats for hire at Elafonnisi. I can't recall seeing any jetties or harbours or anything like that. The natural scenery is the big attraction and they probably wouldn't want to spoil that in any way. There are passenger boats, but they may just anchor in the shallows and let people paddle ashore. Also, the water is very shallow, with outcrops of rocks, and probably not suitable for boating.

7. Re: suggestions for special birthday day in chania/ agia marina

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 12, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Agia Marina