We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping in Agia Marina/Chania?

Norway
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Shopping in Agia Marina/Chania?

Hello!

In the beginning of August I will be traveling to Agia Marina! I'm so excited. I love to shop clothes and stuff.. Where is the best street / mall to shop at near Agia Marina / Chania? :)

Thanks.

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping in Agia Marina/Chania?

For "clothes and stuff" you'll need to go into Chania, unless you're talking about beach clothes, sarongs, swimsuits, flipflops,etc, of which there will be plenty in Agia Marina.

There is no such thing as a mall in or anywhere near Chania. There are shops all along Halidon, Chania's "main street", which leads from Plateia 1866 (near the bus station) to the harbour. There are more clothing shops along Daskalogianni, and the street that runs parallel to it, whose name escapes me.

Zambeliou, the street behind and parallel to the Venetian harbour, and the little streets off it have excellent small shops that sell good quality, unusual souvenirs, clothing, jewellery, etc.

Stroll down Tsouderon, behind the Central Market, for all sorts of leather goods - shoes, boots, sandals, handbags, wallets, gloves - and textiles. Even if you don't want to buy any of them, Tsouderon is one of Chania's not-to-be-missed shopping experiences. It will be packed with tourists in August, but no less interesting for that. And the market itself is another of Chania's spectacles: amazing displays of fruits and vegetables, meat and fish, and tourist shops (an unfortunately increasing number of the latter).

Edited: 12:47 pm, March 08, 2013
Chania Town, Greece
Level Contributor
188 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping in Agia Marina/Chania?

Hi Sondre!

There are no shops in Agia Marina, but there are some in the adjacent resort of Platanias and in Chania.

No shopping malls exist either but various shops scattered in the centre of Chania town and really easy to find.

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,704 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shopping in Agia Marina/Chania?

<<There are no shops in Agia Marina>>

Well, unless they have all shut recently I would say there are plenty!

It depends what you are looking for. Many of the food supermarkets have a clothes secton. For instance the supermarket across the road from Olga Beach.

Chania Town, Greece
Level Contributor
188 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shopping in Agia Marina/Chania?

Hi again!

To add a few things to the detailed post from Alabastron, check out the following streets, centre of town:

Google coordinates:

35.512859,24.022465, Tzanakaki street features nice shoe shops- one is realy cheap- among others.

35.513435,24.023345, Papandreou street and its surrounding ones , Archontaki, Hiotaki, Ktistaki have clothes shops as well.

Steve, thanks for the correction, being in a hurry I didn't clarify that I didn't have beach clothes in mind..:)

Edited: 8:24 am, March 09, 2013
London, United...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shopping in Agia Marina/Chania?

Anna, thanks: Tzanakaki is the very street whose name escaped me.

Steve, I said that there would beach clothes in Agia Marina - in saying "no shops" Anna obviously understood Sondre's post as I did!

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,704 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shopping in Agia Marina/Chania?

The shop I mentioned sells a lot more than beach clothes. Hoodies, t-shirts, trousers, shoes etc. Mostly casual clothes of course, but quite a good choice.

Market Harborough...
Level Contributor
189 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shopping in Agia Marina/Chania?

There are several 'boutique' clothes shops in Platanias which is only a ten minute walk from Agia Marina. As there are also a number of supermarkets, restaurants and bars it is well worth a visit.

Norway
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shopping in Agia Marina/Chania?

Thanks to everyone for great answers! I can't wait to travel to Agia Marina :)

9. Re: Shopping in Agia Marina/Chania?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, March 29, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Agia Marina
Recent Conversations