We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hike, Bike or Rent a Car?

McHenry, Illinois
Level Contributor
127 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
Hike, Bike or Rent a Car?

We will be taking tours of various sites on Easter Island in May 2016. I've taken note of a couple spots "not" on the tour, that perhaps we'd like to visit on our own. Can you tell me if we can hike, bike or need to rent a car for a few hours for these attractions?

Ahu Akahanga

Ahu Vinapu

Ana Te Pahu (this is a maybe)

Ahu Tahai is within walking distance from town right?

Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
Ahu Akahanga
Ahu Akahanga
467 Reviews
Easter Island, Chile
Ahu Tahai
Ahu Tahai
721 Reviews
Easter Island, Chile
Easter Island, Chile
Destination Expert
for Easter Island
Level Contributor
556 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hike, Bike or Rent a Car?

You have a VERY peculiar tour company if those are not included in your tour program.

Ahu Akahanga is included in Full Day Tour: Anakena & Rano Raraku, Ahu Vinapu is included in Half Day Tour: Orongo and Ahu Tahai is included in Half Day Tour: Akivi.

Ana Te Pahu is the biggest cave of the island and no tour company (excluding some freelancers) will take you to caves anymore since they've been classified as dangerous by CONAF since the beginning of 2013.

Short answer to your question: rent a bike. All sites you listed are relatively close.

Alternatively, get better tour company and you will miss nothing important.

McHenry, Illinois
Level Contributor
127 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hike, Bike or Rent a Car?

Hmmm really? On our itinerary we have listed for the 1st day - Anakena visit stopping at Vaihu, Rano Raraku & the Rano Kau Volcano, the restored giant Ahu Tongariki and it's 15 moais, then 2 beaches (ovahe and Anakena). 2nd day - Orongo Village, and Ahu Akivi.

I didn't see Ahu Akahanga, Ahu Vinapu & Ahu Tahai but maybe they are along the route. But in case they're not I wanted to know if we could see these sites on our own.

Now I know why Ana Te Pahu wasn't listed. We won't be going here since it's dangerous, thank you for that info!

But is Ahu Tahai within walking distance from town? I read on TA that some people would walk there every evening for the sunset. We will take your advice and rent bikes for the other sites. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Rano Raraku
Rano Raraku
1,781 Reviews
Easter Island, Chile
Rano Kau
Rano Kau
917 Reviews
Easter Island, Chile
Ahu Tongariki
Ahu Tongariki
1,720 Reviews
Easter Island, Chile
Orongo
Orongo
1,255 Reviews
Easter Island, Chile
Ahu Akivi
Ahu Akivi
451 Reviews
Easter Island, Chile
Ahu Akahanga
Ahu Akahanga
467 Reviews
Easter Island, Chile
Ahu Tahai
Ahu Tahai
721 Reviews
Easter Island, Chile
McHenry, Illinois
Level Contributor
127 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hike, Bike or Rent a Car?

Also, could you give me an idea of the distance/time it would take to get to Ahu Akahanga, Ahu Vinapu & Ahu Tahai from town by bicycle?

We havn't been biking for quite some time, is the terrain manageable or is it all up hill?

Mentioned in this post
Ahu Akahanga
Ahu Akahanga
467 Reviews
Easter Island, Chile
Ahu Tahai
Ahu Tahai
721 Reviews
Easter Island, Chile
Easter Island, Chile
Destination Expert
for Easter Island
Level Contributor
556 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hike, Bike or Rent a Car?

Yes, you will miss the sites not listed even they're along the route, I'm sorry to tell you.

If you have a free day, you'll have more than plenty of time to visit all the sites. If you try to make it in one afternoon, it might be busy, though.

You might easily walk from the village to Ahu Tahai.

Generally, distance on the island is not a problem but you really will benefit if you'll have a guide there. Guidebooks about the island are more or less waste of paper.

Visiting the sites you mentioned using a bicycle is easy. Otherwise, you should be somewhat experienced biking if you plan to see the whole island that way. It will be exhausting in summer and you sure will feel some pain afterwards...

Mentioned in this post
Ahu Tahai
Ahu Tahai
721 Reviews
Easter Island, Chile
5. Re: Hike, Bike or Rent a Car?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:17 pm, September 22, 2016