We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Passport stamp for Easter Island get at Post Office

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,996 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Passport stamp for Easter Island get at Post Office

I'm with my friend now that I met in Easter Island. He showed me the ink stamp, stamped in his passport that he got at the Post Office in Hanga Roa. It has 3 descending heads with Isla de Pascua. It's absolutely beautiful. When we landed we did not pass through any kind of passport station. He also showed me stamps from Machu Picchu and Usuhia. I never knew you could get those. So, I wanted to let people know in case they collect place stamps. Can someone tell me if it's legal to put it in your passport. Would any kind of official say it should not be in there? It certainly takes up space, so consider that if you plan to do a round the world trip or have limited passport space. Is there a site that has locations of where you can get these stamps when you travel. Enjoy Rapa Nui everyone, it's magical!

Mentioned in this post
Hanga Roa
Hanga Roa
Easter Island, Chile
Easter Island, Chile
Level Contributor
39 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Passport stamp for Easter Island get at Post Office

I've never heard of anyone getting problems from having a Rapa Nui stamp in the passport, and people do them all the time, so surely it won't be a problem wherever you go in the world.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,996 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Passport stamp for Easter Island get at Post Office

Thanks. I really wish I had known, would've loved it in my passport. If you're living on Easter Island you'd make a great resource for those wishing to know more about Rapa Nui. Hope you become a Destination Expert here on TA. Maruru.

Mentioned in this post
Easter Island, Chile
Destination Expert
for Easter Island
Level Contributor
555 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Passport stamp for Easter Island get at Post Office

In case someone's really concerned about legal issues, it might be best to give a call to local authorities since laws and regulations vary from country to country.

I'm European myself and on weekly basis guests at the hotel reception tell me that they're going to get their passports stamped so I believe that's generally fine.

Additionally, considering that passport is stamped in some occasions when accessing a foreign country and work visas etc. are attached to it's pages, you do not have much control over your passport in those cases.

Personally, I wouldn't use the very last pages for that reason while traveling since I have no idea what happens when you're out of your country and you run out of passport pages.

However, some countries, at least in Europe – mine included, collect the old passport when handing over the new one so stamping my passport would be useless anyway.

Easter Island, Chile
Level Contributor
39 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Passport stamp for Easter Island get at Post Office

Yes, I do live at Easter Island. Thank you very much for your nice words!

Mentioned in this post
Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
143 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Passport stamp for Easter Island get at Post Office

OP, I've collected a few passport stamps in various countries. I agree, it would be nice if there was a website that collected information on where this was possible, since I've only learned about passport stamps in particular locations by accident. With respect to the comment in post #3 about the stamps eventually being useless for the passport holders of some countries, I can say it isn't useless for US passport holders because your old passport can be returned to you upon request when you apply for a new one. He does give good advice to avoid using the last few pages of your passport for a stamp if you are expecting to continue your travels before applying for a new passport, or before applying for additional pages for your existing passport.

Kennewick...
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Passport stamp for Easter Island get at Post Office

if your passport is getting close to being "filled-up" simply request extra pages from the issuing agency. In the US simply ask for extra pages from where you ordered your passport. I believe there is a very small fee for this service.

Melbourne...
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Passport stamp for Easter Island get at Post Office

Wish I had read this two weeks ago . My wife and I were in the Post office posting postcards just to make it worse.

Malta and Sicily didn't stamp my passport either.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,996 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Passport stamp for Easter Island get at Post Office

that's why i thought i'd mention it :)

for cruises now they don't stamp in the book - in the destinations i've been. but at the ports they have an area were you can stamp your book. most people lock theirs up in the cabin safe.

Carlisle...
Level Contributor
17 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Passport stamp for Easter Island get at Post Office

Also, when your passport is close to expiration and it's time to get a new one you can order a new US passport with 52 pages for the same price as the standard 26. Something to think about for the heavy travelers out there. The thicker passport doesn't really take up any extra room to speak of and you don't have to worry about adding pages later.

10. Re: Passport stamp for Easter Island get at Post Office

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, March 25, 2015