We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

should I exchange money at airport?

DC,USA
Level Contributor
18 posts
8 reviews
should I exchange money at airport?

I will be in Chile/EI only 4 days, hotel is prepaid. If I buy the park entrance at the airport, is it necessary to exchange dollars when I land, or could I do taxis and tips /food in USD? Are credit cards widely accepted?

6 replies to this topic
Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile, Santiago
Level Contributor
7,138 posts
15 reviews
1. Re: should I exchange money at airport?

Credit cars are widely accepted, but you need to buy pesos for small purchases. Dollars will not be accepted.

London, United...
Level Contributor
33,619 posts
79 reviews
2. Re: should I exchange money at airport?

It's much more convenient to use the currency of the country you are in.

Easter Island, Chile
Destination Expert
for Easter Island
Level Contributor
586 posts
3. Re: should I exchange money at airport?

Changing some CLPs is both reasonable and practical even USD is accepted by most businesses in Easter Island.

In some cases, you'll pay extra if you pay in USD (always pay taxi in local currency), national park tickets are just a one example.

Hotels, tours, restaurants etc. you might pay in USD, depending the exchange rate they'll apply (typically fixed every month/week/day).

Credit cards are typically accepted but having a small amount of cash will keep you out of trouble.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
12,414 posts
103 reviews
4. Re: should I exchange money at airport?

One issue with credit cards is that outside Hanga Roa there is no internet connection so merchants cannot process charges. The restaurants at Anakena Beach were cash only for this reason.

Easter Island, Chile
Destination Expert
for Easter Island
Level Contributor
586 posts
5. Re: should I exchange money at airport?

CONAF (park rangers' office) is also out-of-range.

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
9,662 posts
1 review
6. Re: should I exchange money at airport?

some of the places i bought using my credit card did have the portable hand units. But some were really slow.

You can buy your local currency anywhere you want. Note that there are ATMs on the island. Just dont count on them to be working or have any cash.

f i remember the park entrance was paid in local cash.

you will need some cash just for small things. There was a coffee shop that i used many times. At the time it was new so they didnt and couldn't take any credit card.

good luck

Reply to: should I exchange money at airport?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted