We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Left Waiting for the Clean-up Dive with Volcano Divers

Level Contributor
3 posts
50 reviews
Left Waiting for the Clean-up Dive with Volcano Divers

***Volcano Divers requested our review be deleted since it was factual & not 5 stars. TripAdvisor states our review wasn't a 'real experience'. What do you think? Would this be helpful to other travelers?***

We emailed The Peace Project about joining the clean-up dive on a Monday, and were told it would be no problem. We were very excited about getting the chance to go diving in a volcanic crater that was also freshwater (both firsts for us) while helping keep Laguna de Apoyo clean.

We checked with the instructor Sunday night & were told that they typically leave at noon. The next day we started waiting on the main deck at 10:30-10:45 am so we were easy to spot. As 11:30 am approached I inquired about getting our gear sorted to find out they had apparently already left!

This was one of our main reasons for staying on Laguna de Apoyo compared to Masaya or Granada so we were very disappointed to say the least. What would have been a pleasant & new experience turned into a wasted day.

Apparently, the clean-up dive was moved up to accommodate another one later in the day. What we didn't like was that no one told us or tried to find us despite the change & knowing we had wanted to join.

The director tried to have us join the later dive, but a regulator wasn't working properly so they didn't have enough equipment. If you want to get the experience of diving in a volcano on a budget, request the free clean-up dive on Mondays but be persistent and clear on when you go. A simple chalkboard with names & times like any other dive shop would be helpful.

9 replies to this topic
Granada Nicaragua
Level Contributor
963 posts
317 reviews
1. Re: Left Waiting for the Clean-up Dive with Volcano Divers

I think it sounds like you did not get "waited on" and now are whining about it. Stuff happens. So, my review of your review is 2 stars. Get over it.

Level Contributor
3 posts
50 reviews
2. Re: Left Waiting for the Clean-up Dive with Volcano Divers

Thank you for your input Amen9. I'm glad I got 2 stars at least. :-) That shows that it is at least somewhat useful to other travelers. Whether you personally think (since that is all that TripAdvisor really is...opinions) that I'm whining or not, would this review not be useful to other people looking and spending time trying to go diving with Volcano Divers?

Sure, the clean-up dive is free in this case. However, if any business offers a service shouldn't they stand by good customer service & not leave without at least informing those signed up to go that the time has changed?

Is it not important for potential divers to know that there is limited equipment & some of it may be faulty? These are serious concerns for me as a diver when I choose a dive shop. I'm putting my trust into a company to make sure I get on land again with no issues.

As a long term contributor you should be able to see the importance of both positive & negative feedback. Personally, I have to really think twice when considering to do something if it has less than 4.5 stars on TripAdvisor. Too many times the reviews are biased positively, & now I know why. Companies have the negative ones removed in order to look better than they are.

3. Re: Left Waiting for the Clean-up Dive with Volcano Divers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 8:35 pm, December 29, 2016

wix
Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
842 posts
44 reviews
4. Re: Left Waiting for the Clean-up Dive with Volcano Divers

Helpful, thanks for contributing.

Hopkins, Belize
Level Contributor
1,536 posts
76 reviews
5. Re: Left Waiting for the Clean-up Dive with Volcano Divers

well it does sound like a bummer that they didnt even let you know, so that is dumb on their part. But on the other hand, you werent scheduled to be a part of the crew, and had just asked if you could join on, so i dont know if i would say it was their responsibility to let you know.

There may be more to the story, for example, maybe they did not have your contact information, or maybe they are just jerks, or maybe you thought they agreed to let you come with but they said "if we go you can join" so it wasnt guaranteed.

I dont know cause i wasnt there.

But to me it sounds like the company didnt really do anything wrong, but they also werent particularly nice/helpful either.

However, this isnt really out of the ordinary here in Nicaragua. Customer service, and things like that are seen very differently here. Especially when its a free thing, and its just someone who asked if they could come along, and was not part of the normal crew/project.

Its a good warning for others, not specifically about this company, but just in general for people who come down here, thinking that someone else will have their itinerary, and everything set up for them, and scheduled and waiting for them, etc. Because there is a decent chance it wont work out the way you hoped.

Sorry to hear it didnt work for you, but i hope you enjoyed your time at the laguna anyway

Level Contributor
3 posts
50 reviews
6. Re: Left Waiting for the Clean-up Dive with Volcano Divers

Laguna de Apoyo is nice for a day to swim/snorkel. I'm guessing you have been several times since you live nearby. :-)

In reference to some of your statements, the clean-up dive is a weekly occurrence on Monday. We emailed the director of The Peace Project prior to arriving & she said we could join...thus signing up. We confirmed that we would be going the night before with departure time scheduled for noon. Since The Peace Project & Volcano Divers are under the same business umbrella & on the same property it would have been very easy to find us had they looked since we were guests at the hostel.

It is water under the bridge now, but very disappointing at the time since that was the main reason we chose to stay instead of visiting Laguna de Apoyo as a day trip. The lake is not the most convenient place for transportation & food. The Volcano Divers' staff are all foreign volunteers so I guess they aren't too worried about customer service. JMHO

Oroville, California
Level Contributor
794 posts
97 reviews
7. Re: Left Waiting for the Clean-up Dive with Volcano Divers

It shouldn't have been deleted. They have no way to prove it wasn't a real experience. I personally don't see any reason you would lie. But there are hotels and tour agencies who remove any negative reviews about them. Just post it on another site. The truth is the truth.

Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
8. Re: Left Waiting for the Clean-up Dive with Volcano Divers

Glad you shared your experience even if it didn't work out for you it might help other divers who wish to volunteer in the clean-up. Our experience on TA - poor reviews are removed by foreign owned businesses....Nicaraguans do not have much experience in the trip advisor process or writing rebuttals.

Foreign volunteers (generally long term paying foreigners contributing to a foreign investment - not volunteer organizations) are all too common in many places to avoid hiring and training local workers ...especially related to "ECO" anything !

V S
Level Contributor
3 posts
17 reviews
9. Re: Left Waiting for the Clean-up Dive with Volcano Divers

We went scuba diving in Laguna de Apoyo, but not where you mentioned. We went with Jeffrey McCrary (telephone 8882-3992 and found at the Estacion Biologica next door to those people). He is a scientist conducting a study of the fishes and we assisted in the collection of data. He explained which fish we were seeing!

Diving in this lake was lots of fun and the water was clear. We saw about 1000 or 2000 fish and a crab.

Reply to: Left Waiting for the Clean-up Dive with Volcano Divers
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about La Laguna de Apoyo