We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hostels in Cheongju

sverige
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Hostels in Cheongju

Söker efter Vandrarhem i Cheongju.

Seoul, South Korea
Level Contributor
467 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hostels in Cheongju

It's rather doubtful that you'll find a hostel of European concept in Cheongju city proper. A few 'Youth Hostels' might pop up on the internet, in towns and counties around Cheongju, but these facilities are almost surely NOT what you would picture in your mind as a 'hostel' for regular travellers.

Cheongju isn't too far away from Seoul (only 100 minutes by bus) where you can find proper hostels more easily. However, if you need to spend a night in Cheongju for whatever reason, you might want to consider 'Yeo-gwan' (inns) or motels as an alternative.

Edited: 10:18 am, March 23, 2010
sverige
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Hostels in Cheongju

Tack för snabbt svar!

Vi ska till Cheongju på världsmästerskap i Taekwon-do i sommar och måste bo i närheten. Tävlingarna pågår från tidig morgon till kvällen.

Seoul, South Korea
Level Contributor
467 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hostels in Cheongju

If that is the case, have you tried to clear the accommodation issue with the Organizing Committee? Since the primary organizer is Chungcheong University, and the period of the event falls within the summer vacation on the academic calendar of South Korea, there should probably be empty student halls within the campus that could be spared. Nevertheless, it is just my speculation, not official information, and such a decision is entirely up to the Committee.

sverige
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Hostels in Cheongju

Det är tänkt att vi skulle få hjälp av kommiten men dom är väldigt svåra att nå. Svarar inte på mail.

Vi ska vara där under semestertid och har blivit rekommenderade att bo på Universitetet men när inte kommiten hjälper oss känns det som vi måste ordna boendet på annat vis!

Vilken relation har du till Cheongju?

Seoul, South Korea
Level Contributor
467 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hostels in Cheongju

I do not have any personal tie to the city of Cheongju, I'm monitoring the topic at the 'South Korea Forum' level.

The student hall of Chungcheong University was indeed used for atheletes' accommodation back in 2008, from what I see on the old shuttle bus schedule. But then, the venue of the matches - Cheongju Gymnasium within Cheongju Sports Complex - was half an hour away even by shuttle bus.

There are some 47 motels/inns in the same neighborhood (Sajik-dong) of the gymnasium, and a lot of them are clustered within two blocks to the east, which will practically put you within walking distance from the gymnasium.

There are 100+ more within Heungdeok-gu ('gu' is a municipal district such as Bromma, 'dong' is a subdivision of 'gu' hence close to a 'town') although names and addresses are not provided in English by Cheongju City, not to mention own websites they do not have.

On the other hand, proper hotels (3-stars and above) are mostly 10~15 minutes away by car from the gymnasium, so you might want to keep that in mind while picking your place to stay.

sverige
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Hostels in Cheongju

Tack för ditt svar!

Har hittat ett hotell nära sport centret.

Vad kan man göra i Cheongju förutom att titta på tävlingen?

Finns det någonstans man kan bada?

Seoul, South Korea
Level Contributor
467 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Hostels in Cheongju

I am reluctant to copy and paste the list of sites which Cheongju City promotes as 'touristic', you can see them for yourself from the city's website.

However, if you meant to ask about swimming, I'd like to remind you for your own sake that the Geum-gang River that runs through Cheongju is not exactly the kind of water you just dive in for swimming. The same caution goes for Daecheong-ho Lake, to the south of Cheongju. You might or might not witness some people go on swimming regardless if you pass by driving, but this is not Sweden we're talking about.

Your alternative would be indoor pools, one public Cheongju Indoor Swimming Pool operated by the city, or exclusive ones such as Cheongju Ramada Plaza Hotel's.

On the other hand, if you meant some sort of hot springs instead, the nearest famous location would be rather far away from Cheongju. 'Suanbo Springs Cluster' is near the city of Chungju (NOT Cheongju, it's a different city to the northeast) but it's gonna take a whole day or two if you go there.

Edited: 12:05 pm, March 24, 2010
Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
12,277 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hostels in Cheongju

You may not be used to Korean organising comittees. They do sometimes seem chaotic, but in my experience they often work out fine.

I agree that hostels won't exist in Cheongju.

Daejeon might be a better place, that is quite near but it will still be a journey

sverige
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Hostels in Cheongju

Tack för hjälpen!

Hur lång tid tar det Att åka Mellan Daejeon och Cheongju?

Seoul, South Korea
Level Contributor
467 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Hostels in Cheongju

Cheongju-Daejeon takes 1 hour by bus, 45 minutes by train. But the journey between the gymnasium and respective train station/bus terminal is another thing.

I don't quite see the rationale to go to Daejeon just for accomodation, considering you need to stay close to the venue. Otherwise, you might as well go to Seoul instead where the real hostels are, as I had suggested once before.

Get answers to your questions about Chungju