We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

walk to Mulhacen

Which Province of Granada hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Belguim
Level Contributor
267 posts
Save Topic
walk to Mulhacen

My husband wants to walk to the Mulhacen this summer. We are staying in Pitres with our 2 boys aged 6 and 8. It will be quite the climb but I'm willing to give it a try, if it doesn't work out, we'll just turn back.

I'm looking for the easiest way up. Do we start from the mirador de Trevelez or take the bus in Capileira to the Refugio? Or is there maybe another way up the mountain?

19 replies to this topic
Montejaque, Spain
Level Contributor
1,324 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: walk to Mulhacen

"we will at least take a liter of water each"

I would make that a minimum of 2 liters of water each if the sky is clear. Even if the sky is overcast, I recommend at the very least a 1.5 liter bottle of mineral water.

It can be surprising how much water you need in the sun and you will be gone a long time.

Montejaque, Spain
Level Contributor
1,324 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: walk to Mulhacen

Thank your lucky stars for your not thinking of going up Mont Blanc in July - August.

guardian.co.uk/world/interactive/2012/jul/12…

Belguim
Level Contributor
267 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: walk to Mulhacen

Tragic!

Don't think we'll see much snow on our coming holiday, not like last year when it actually snowed whilst we were there.

Montejaque, Spain
Level Contributor
1,324 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: walk to Mulhacen

As you can see from these photos taken last year, snow is not unknown on Mulhacen in July. However, there is certainly not enough there to cause an avalanche.

sierra-nevada-news.com/2011/…

Horwich, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: walk to Mulhacen

Jeremy, I'm planning the same thing for next September/October, the easy route from Mirador de Trevelez. Can you please tell me - is it correct that private cars are allowed up the road to the start point (provided there's no snow) ?

Horwich, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: walk to Mulhacen

Jeremy, I'm planning the same thing for next September/October, the easy route from Mirador de Trevelez. Can you please tell me - is it correct that private cars are allowed up the road to the start point (provided there's no snow) ?

Gdansk, Poland
Level Contributor
148 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: walk to Mulhacen

Same here, could someone provide information regarding private cars and where they can park?

alpujarras
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: walk to Mulhacen

Hi Wodzu,

If you go to Capileira you can continue with your private on the tarmac road and later on the dirt road until 'La Hoya del Portillo' which is some 11km from Capileira at 2150m. Here is a barrier, some picknick tables and a place to park your car. From then you take the path through the pineforest (on the left of the cabin and the barrier) and you go to 'Puerto Molina'. From there you take the dirt roadto 'Alto del Chorrillo' or also called 'Mirador de Trevélez' and from there you take the path up to the Mulhacen..

I hope you will enjoy your stay!

Gdansk, Poland
Level Contributor
148 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: walk to Mulhacen

Hi launa2,

thank you for your detailed answer :) I've checked with google maps but there is no 'La Hoya del Portillo', google maps shows me 'Refugio Poqueira', is this the same place? I guess not because google says it is 20 km on road.. Aloo, how do you assess the dirt road? Is it doable by a normal car without 4x4 drive?

Thank you again, I am sure this will be a great trip! :)

Reply to: walk to Mulhacen
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Province of Granada